Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ASrod

Star Aerial Surf Rod?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am looking for a surf rod to fit my Penn Battle 5000 and I am looking in to the 9ft surf aerial surf rod. Is it any good? I have an $80 Budget and I need a surf rod that will be good for plugging, bucktailing and pencil popping from surf and inlets. I am open to suggestions too.

My other choice would be the penn prevail surf rod.    Model #           PRESF1220S90  

Thanks

Truly horrible guides on a spongy blank. Best thing I can say about the Aerial is, it's cheap. Money well spent to move up to a Tica Dolphin, DBlue, Or Airwave Elite than waste the cash on the Star Rod. 1825371

^^All good options.  Another, would be a Star Stellar Lite surf rod.  Just a couple bucks more and you'll have a real Star rod that won't disappoint.  The Penn Spinfisher rod is another solid budget light surf rod for that application.

I have a Star stellar and love it. Was my go to rod before the Concept guides came out. Id Highly Recommend that rod to anyone. And it is back with a Lifetime warranty. Customer Service one of the best. No questions asked they replace it. I think I paid 100 for it a few years back. :D

I have the 8' Star Stellar and the rod itself is great. The guides are horrible. I got a good deal on mine because it already had a cracked guide before the tags and wrapper were off. Since then I've broken and replaced two other guides in less than a year. I think I have more Fuji's on it now than PAC Bay's. Overall I'm still happy since I got it for close to 1/2 off and now have a nice rod with mostly quality guides for less than a new one. It's in the car now for an early AM back bay run before work.

I have an 8' Stellar and can't say enough about it. I would happily put it up against ANY &99 rod. As for the Ariel, I held both and couldn't see why I would make the sacrifice. On a related note, held a 10'6" paraflex this past Friday. Really nice!!!!!!

I would put in a little more and get the Stellar Lite. I have these rods in the 7' spinning, 11' surf and 2 x 12' surf. Love them.

I accidentally, while surf fishing at 4 AM, wrapped the leader around the tip, 5 inches from the top, and casted with all my strength. It snapped but I wasn't worried as the warranty program is probably one of the best.

I believe the aerial is 5 year warranty vs a lifetime for the stellar lite. Resale value is likely better with the stellar if you decide to upgrade/change.

The star aerial series is a very nice rod. Quality wise I believe it to be on par with the stellar lite. The blank is more of a composite so it fishes differently. I personally like the aerial and have beat one up pretty good this season. I bought the 8 footer. It is a bit softer action which I like.