Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nickd9283

Parabolic or Fast action for 1/2 - 1oz lures??

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Going to be building a light surf rod for back bays and what not over the winter. Probably around 7'6 - 8'6 long. Going to be using it as mostly an early-season schoolie rod casting light plugs and plastics like 3 inch swim shads and rebel jumping minnows. Anybody know whether a whippy noodle rod or a tippy fast action rod would be better for this application? Ive found info on the topic but its all very conflicting. Hoping to hear from someone with some direct experience. Blank suggestions are welcome as well.

no one is going to give the right answer for you. Its a matter of personal preference. Personally, with shads I like a faster action rod but if there is any chance I am throwing pencil or bucktail I'd want something moderate. Since bucktails and pencils are two of my favorite lures most of my rods are parabolic. Hope that helps. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

no one is going to give the right answer for you. Its a matter of personal preference. Personally, with shads I like a faster action rod but if there is any chance I am throwing pencil or bucktail I'd want something moderate. Since bucktails and pencils are two of my favorite lures most of my rods are parabolic. Hope that helps. smile.gif

Lucky, can you explain to a layperson like myself as to why you prefer a parabolic for bucktails and pencils? Im going to guess and say its to help with casting? I fish almost exclusively with 1oz bucktail jig here on the east coast of Florida.

Sure, like I said its my preference. I'm sure there are guys that can explain it better than me. Swimming a bucktail i usually throw in a occasional set of twitches. Those twicthes are way more subtle and look more natural with a noodle rod. With a fast stick they would appear more herky jerky. If that makes any sense. :freak:

Working a pencil with a fast action rod is a work out. With a moderate action rod you can let the rod do some of the work. You get that rod tip waving much easier.

Another thing not to be overlooked with noodle rods is hooks pulling. If you are using small lures with little trebles for big fish a moderate action rod will help keep the hooks stuck. Use a fast rod and you will have a frustrating night. Others will disagree with me but that's what I believe.

I would suggest a moderate to moderate/ fast rod. You want a rod that will lift the Bucktail but not so stiff that a Tarpon or Snook can easily break you off. With a fast action the " give" is not there.. With a " parobolic" you will give away power. You want a happy medium. I would suggest a 9' having fished Florida's East Coast a 9' works perfect on beach and on piers.

Quote:

Sure, like I said its my preference. I'm sure there are guys that can explain it better than me. Swimming a bucktail i usually throw in a occasional set of twitches. Those twicthes are way more subtle and look more natural with a noodle rod. With a fast stick they would appear more herky jerky. If that makes any sense. freak.gif

Working a pencil with a fast action rod is a work out. With a moderate action rod you can let the rod do some of the work. You get that rod tip waving much easier.

Quote:

Another thing not to be overlooked with noodle rods is hooks pulling. If you are using small lures with little trebles for big fish a moderate action rod will help keep the hooks stuck. Use a fast rod and you will have a frustrating night. Others will disagree with me but that's what I believe.

No, that all makes good sense Lucky. Trying to promote the correct action on a bucktail with a broomstick (fast action) isn't easy, I agree.

Fast action is not all bad with Bucktails.. Some inlets and the canal are places you might want a stiffer rod only to get lift with out having to pull up to far on the rod. But on open beach or Montauk or Sebastian inlet in Florida moderate or moderate fast is all you need.

No, that all makes good sense Lucky. Trying to promote the correct action on a bucktail with a broomstick (fast action) isn't easy, I agree.

Good. :) I learned to bucktail watching watching an older guy on a jetty tip during the summer months. The guy used a noodle rod that we called his bass wand. I swear it looked like he was conducting a bass orchestra every time he was out there. Some days I wouldn't even fish I'd just watch him. Using the right tool for the job cuts the learning curve

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfmaster250 View Post

Fast action is not all bad with Bucktails.. Some inlets and the canal are places you might want a stiffer rod only to get lift with out having to pull up to far on the rod. But on open beach or Montauk or Sebastian inlet in Florida moderate or moderate fast is all you need.

Surfmaster, Sebastian Inlet is just up the road (11 miles) from me. I've caught hundreds of fish out of that inlet. I'll look into a 9 foot rod.

I did what you are thinking of doing a couple of years ago. I built two rods, one on a honey mb901-E and the other one on a Seeker BS756 blank. I like both blanks,but each gives me something different.

My thinking about rods for your purposes is the same a s Lucky's. I did a poll a few weeks back, and found that despite the tendency for people to jump into buckailing threads encouraging a faster action rod, most people preferred moderate or mod-fast rods for it. For surface plugs, moderate is the way to go.

According to the catalog, the Seeker was rated 1/2-1 and the Lami was 1/4-1, but in real life, the Seeker did the 1/4-3/8 bucktails better, while the Lami had a higher upper end. I also feel more "in control" when fighting larger fish with the Lami, though neither has failed me. The Seeker has a soft tip with more power in the butt, while the Lami is more parabolic.

I agree with John that you should err on the side of extra length, but I haven't found a surf blank that is 9' and will cast a 3/8 bucktail. If you want to go longer, look into the crankbait/swimbait rods or steelhead blanks, or extend a shorter rod. I didn't go for extra length because I don't use bucktails over 1/2 oz, and there is only so far you can cast any of this smaller stuff.

Note: this is a response to the op. Shivsean has a different set of needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post

I did what you are thinking of doing a couple of years ago. I built two rods, one on a honey mb901-E and the other one on a Seeker BS756 blank. I like both blanks,but each gives me something different.

My thinking about rods for your purposes is the same a s Lucky's. I did a poll a few weeks back, and found that despite the tendency for people to jump into buckailing threads encouraging a faster action rod, most people preferred moderate or mod-fast rods for it. For surface plugs, moderate is the way to go.

According to the catalog, the Seeker was rated 1/2-1 and the Lami was 1/4-1, but in real life, the Seeker did the 1/4-3/8 bucktails better, while the Lami had a higher upper end. I also feel more "in control" when fighting larger fish with the Lami, though neither has failed me. The Seeker has a soft tip with more power in the butt, while the Lami is more parabolic.

I agree with John that you should err on the side of extra length, but I haven't found a surf blank that is 9' and will cast a 3/8 bucktail. If you want to go longer, look into the crankbait/swimbait rods or steelhead blanks, or extend a shorter rod. I didn't go for extra length because I don't use bucktails over 1/2 oz, and there is only so far you can cast any of this smaller stuff.

Note: this is a response to the op. Shivsean has a different set of needs.

Sweet, I know guys that take fly rod blanks and make a surf rod out if it. What kind of action in in a fly rod? These rods are very long and seem very thin and whispy.

Sweet, I know guys that take fly rod blanks and make a surf rod out if it. What kind of action in in a fly rod? These rods are very long and seem very thin and whispy.

If you know of a fly rod that will meet the op's needs, by all means, speak up. This thread is about finding a blank for fishing back bays with lures up to an ounce.

I would suggest a moderate to moderate/ fast rod. You want a rod that will lift the Bucktail but not so stiff that a Tarpon or Snook can easily break you off. With a fast action the " give" is not there.. With a " parobolic" you will give away power. You want a happy medium. I would suggest a 9' having fished Florida's East Coast a 9' works perfect on beach and on piers.

If you know of a fly rod that will meet the op's needs, by all means, speak up. This thread is about finding a blank for fishing back bays with lures up to an ounce.

CTS Revo ?