Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RegDunlop

scientific anglers frequency fly lines

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Not much info on these, but at the fifty dollar price you would think they are aimed at beginners.

Nothing SA is saying states they are meant for beginers, Sa is harping on making line selection easier by having only eleven tapers.

Reg

$50 is about £32 over here and it is possible now if you shop quite well to get good lines for that money. In fact sometimes premium lines. Top brand fly lines in the USA seem to have shot up in price over the last few years. Why I don't know. Hopefully these SA Lines will be equally as good as lines coming in at $89.

Lines are a big item of expenditure for us Guys now even assuming we manage to sort out the correct weight for a given rod at first time of asking.. In fact it is almost scary. If you were to own say three salt water fly rods say an 8, 9 and 10 wt that could be a total of 9 lines comprised of an I line Floater and fast sink. Adds up to a lot of money. I fish fresh water as well plus TH rods so I feel very guilty when I think of just how much money I have spent on lines. When I was 18 and first starting out with a fly rod even one fly line broke me but life was so much easier. One rod one line and an old Tabaco tin with 6 flies in it and a spool of 4lb leader line. No waders just green cheap Wellies and wet legs.

Mike