Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Lyman Spartan Press.

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

My Boss just gave me this press he was given by his FIL. I see this is from about 1967 or so. Super heavy duty.

I know exactly zero about reloading, but I want to learn.

My 1st question is...can I buy the Lyman universal primer dealie to replace the primer arm on this? I need a smaller cup for small rifle rounds and also for 9mm.

Looking forward to this next stage of my shooting hobby.

Mokes, if you are just learning to reload don't begin your learning experience of seating primers by priming your cases off of the press.

As a beginner you should use a hand-held priming tool so that you learn the feel of primers being seated to their proper depth in the case's primer pocket.

Hoping I can get this ball rolling before I get laid off so I have a project for the winter. Be nice to stock up on .223 and maybe more 9mm for next year at the range.

A new adventure!

One thing to remember is most 5.56, some .223, and occasionally 9mm have the primers crimped in. No problem de-priming, but the crimp has to be swaged or cut away, before priming the case.

:v:

Is powder as hard to find as I am being lead to believe? Should I buy it when I find it? Found a few pounds on Winchester Ball powder. 34 bucks a pound.

That press will load pistol and rifle but if you do much shooting you'll find a single stage press very tedious for pistol ammo. The powder measure (Lyman 55 if memory serves) has a learning curve so drop the powder onto a scale until you get the hang of it. A 9mm uses small amounts of fast burning powder so you want your charges to be accurate.  I use a progressive press mounted primer setup only for pistol. I use a pair of Dillion 550's, one setup for large primers and one for small. Changing calibers is quick but the change over from large to small primers is more tedious. I agree with the other guys that it's better to hand prime rifle cases. Avoid touching the primers with your fingers as oil transferred to the primers can cause misfires if the loaded rounds are stored a while. Reloading is a safe, rewarding hobby if you pay attention to what you're doing. Good luck.   

Is powder as hard to find as I am being lead to believe? Should I buy it when I find it? Found a few pounds on Winchester Ball powder. 34 bucks a pound.

from what i hear it's getting better.

i just picked up 5 lbs of bullseye from Bass Pro in Orlando.

had it shipped to store since i was going down for vacation.

from what i hear it's getting better.

i just picked up 5 lbs of bullseye from Bass Pro in Orlando.

had it shipped to store since i was going down for vacation.

Ok. I need to pick up some other stuff right now. If powder was really a rarity still, I would jump on it but I'd rather wait.

I will try not to be trite here because this is a serious topic...but I hate serious topics.

My SIL just found out she has breast cancer...now that's a serious topic.

The whole reloading thing is a meticulous pastime. If you're not meticulous it's not a good idea.

That being said it is quite rewarding.

I fell right off the edge early and failed to ever realize the savings that guys used to talk about.

Actually that's not true...a pound of Bullseye at 2.7 grains per and a bunch of cast 148 grain DEWCs goes a long way.

But the gear and the powder choices and case prep and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!