Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trwhite

Late season fly fishing the wood

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Looking to hit the wood river throughout the next few weeks as I wait for the new moon. The only other time I've gone out this late in the season was in January, and the fishing was surprisingly good. I've been looking around for dave poreccas hatch chart but it looks like his website is no longer active. Does anyone have any recommendations for dry flies that might work? Also is the pines area gate locked?

Yes, I'm prepared with my orange after I learned that lesson a few years ago, got to the stream and saw everyone with orange on, immediately knew I had to turn around. Ah that was another question... Is it shotgun season for deer? Or will I just be dodging arrows.

Blitzkrieg is part of the Arcadia Management Area, should always be open. I have heard shots while in the Pines when fishing there in the past. Nice area to fish.

It is muzzle load season, so figure guys with .50 cal.s out there along with the archers.

I've been there in the winter before and the gate to the trail has been locked in the middle of the day, I'm not sure when they actually lock it. Hopefully theres not too many hunters.

No doubting that they were hunters shots, I have seen them there before walking the road, But there is also a law enforcment shooting range right up the road from the pines. Made the mistake of taking the first turn instead of the second, had to do a U turn amidst about 20 state troops and cops getting ready to shoot.