Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pomatomus

South Fork LI

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Just moved to the South Fork from Montana.  My salt and fresh water gear should arrive tomorrow. 

Wondering if I can get some advice from local fly fishermen here.  Please pm and I can send you my contact email and phone.   Itching to get fishing.

Steve

today and tmrw look like the last 2 nice days of the year, especially for fly fishing...there are gannets and other birds all over the sand beaches from you to montauk and lots of school bass around plus some other larger fish. I saw a guy catch a 40+ lb fish at the georgica cut a few days ago on a pencil popper. Assuming you have a 4 wheel drive and are will to look the other way by not having a beach driving permit yet - go out and look for birds working and make some casts. bring waders and do a search on here for vast volumes of information on fishing your new area. talk to guys on the beach - they will be cool and help out...

Could cost you if Marine Patrol find you with no NYS Fishing Licence which is free. Get on line or by phone. Fines hefty to if no legitimate beach permit. Together the joint fines would tend to dampen your day just a tad. These Guys are out there checking trust me.

There will be fish around for quite a while yet. Most Guys on the shore hang up their rods way too soon. Fish should get bigger to if there are any left after the pounding they have received offshore. If you can't find fish on LI by your own efforts its time to look for another sport.

Mike

Cpalms is a better angler than I am, but on this occasion I disagree with his advice. DEC - that Department of Environmental Conservation - officers are quite active on the beach.

No angler's registration? That's something like $250 right there. No beach driving permit from the Town? They'll bang you again. For what's left of the season, it's NOT worth it.

First, register on line. It's free at NYSEC.gov. Print the receipt and carry it until the permit comes in the mail. Second, if ya wanna get a flyline (or any line) wet from shore, get the NYS Beach Driving permit and the Suffolk County permit. Check the Long Island Forum here for permit details. This opens up a LOT of drivable beach.

Two particular stretches of beach open in the fall. I just bought the Federal permit for Fire Island National Seashore, for the sake of access to a new inlet cut through Fire Island by Hurricane Sandy. (Mike, it looks gorgeous. You'd love it.) Second, there's seashore covered by the County permit on the west side of Shinnecock Inlet, that I've never even looked at myself.

I must also disagree that the fly season ends this week. Wind levels are going to preclude fly casting for all but very skilled casters, for the balance of the year, but my truck will have fly tackle inside until I can't drive any more, late December. Even if your casting is limited, as is mine with a bad arm right now, you can fire a streamer into an outbound tidal flow in a number of places, and do a wet-fly swing.

Thanks Brian.  Followed your advice and registered with NY State.  Tomorrow I guess I'll buy an out of state permit which will cover me for 

both Salt and Fresh.   Walked out on the beach in Wainscott.  Killed me.  Mild wind, could see the troughs, clear water, no gear.  All my stuff 

should be delivered tomorrow.  A very nice, informed fisherman, John, called today and told me there are still stripers lurking around.  I've received so much 

good advice.  Fishermen are the best.

Pomatomus, Hope that gear comes soon. Fall run has been strange this year even allowing for probs in the fishery but I do not think it is done yet.. I don't know the South Forks but a bit of googling up and looking at Google earth will show you many very good shore spots. Few good walks along the beach should start to give you clues as to where you can locate fish. Note book can be invaluable to. Hope you enjoy your new home. Tight Lines Mike

Yeah probably shouldn't risk driving on the beach without the permit - what is your residency status? If you own a home or have a 12 month lease you get a beach permit and town (or village depending on your address) parking pass for free at the EH police station - takes 5 minutes (remember montauk is part of east hampton) Driving on the beach is part of life in the hamptons and not only for fishing - figure out a way to get that permit! The water is still warm for this time of year and tons of bait around so the bass should still be here for awhile, if you can deal with the cold. You could also talk to Harvey in the tackle shop in amagansett for more help - he has good flys too, or Paulies in montauk - just don't mention fly rods in there lol! Consider getting surfcasting (spinning) rod as well - or dare I say it - a boat!

Possible to find fish on South Side beaches if no big sweep with fly rod incredibly close in. Some of the troughs are very narrow and first sand bar is barely a fly cast away. I got fish on small BT just 11 feet from the edge of the sand. So even a big wind does not necessarily knock you out the game as long as you don't get an unmanageable sweep. Love to hear you get into fish. Mike

And don't believe this malarky for a second - I hear Brian fishes like Lefty Kreh and Joan Wulffs love child!
And he looks the part :D. Seriously, there is still a ton of bait and fish just west of you. Most of it isn't on the fly, sadly. Get to know the guys in the local tackle shops such as Tight Lines, White Water, and East End to get good reports and just keep fishing. Not over by a long shot.