Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chunkNplug87

Anyone else noticing the striper bite dieing for the surfcasters

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

My last 3 times out ive only been able to produce 1 small schoolie. Every outing before that i was catchimg a few or more stripers in all different sizes. But it seems the bite has really dwindled down could the season really be over already. With this nice November weather weve been havjng i thought it would a been a lot better. :confused:

That wind storm last weekend really seemed to push the big boys out. Last two trips out resulted in half a dozen dinks , barely over 20". Gonna try again this week and hope for better results.

The fish are still here. Try finding a spot that holds fish all year round or a place that holds fish till late November/early December.

If you fish a spot twice with no results try somewhere else. Don't expect to go there and a third time and for the spot to produce. Key is mixing it up till you find a place that holds fish this time of year.

Fished next to a guy who pulled out a 33" last night at a certain spot using live bunker. They're around, find the bait and you'll find the fish.
yea on saturday night i was next to a guy that pulled a fat 32" out on live eels. It was colder that night too. The fish put up no fight what so ever i was 10 feet away from the guy an didnt even know he had a fish on till the fish was at his feet. The guy tryed telling me the fish was lethargic cuz it was colder out but the water temp was 57° which i thought 65 -55 is a normal temp for bass.

If I lived in Stratford, I'd be fishing a few spots around the mouth of the river. This time of year is not about consistency. You've had a good night if you catch a schoolie or two, and maybe had a keeper mixed. It's also a good time to catch something large. Gotta find the bait, which I've heard has boogied with that storm as well... Don't be afraid to throw something BIG...and don't be afraid to drag a heavy bucktail on the bottom. From my experience, the bait doesn't always show. That's why going deep is important.

October was the month this fall for big fish. i agree though there should be a lot more fish in certain areas right now. Maybe they are late. Still hearing about schools of bass in the open sound (schoolies)

The top water game was excellent today , worked my way through about two dozen schoolies before getting hooked up with a 33" then a 30" shortly after, then back to another handful of schoolies before heading home for breakfast.

saw roving bands of schoolies with PaulS yesterday from the boat...... did NOT see any bait though. fish were moving fast in no predictable pattern- we had trouble staying with them.

nothing bigger than 22" or so

Had a shot of schoolies on Sunday but today the Sound looked like a different place - cold, grey and no fish (other than unmolested bunker). The loons are here, though. Very cool.