Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pure Fisherman

Berkeley Pier - First

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

11/09/14

I got to the pier at around 8:00 p.m.  I couldn't decide where to set up.  I noticed the bass was still sporadically feeding near the top at my favorite spot.  I plugged with SP minnows and Cotton Cordell poppers for about thirty minutes.  Nothing.  I decided to set up at the spot further down the pier where I had lost a bass last week.  I caught a few anchovies, but after soaking them for a few hours, I wasn't feeling it.  I went back to my favorite spot.  About an hour before the top of the tide, I landed a fish I have never caught before.  When I got the fish to the surface of the water, I noticed it looked different. 

The 7-Gill was released.  I also caught and released a 2-foot smooth-hound.

Nice gill! BTW, edited your post as well as past to remove the pier name per the sites spot burning policy. Unless you want 2 billion new friends fishing with you. ;)

The pier is huge and I don't see it as a spot burn.  Now, if I were to name which light, sink or general area of the pier I had caught the fish, that would be a totally different story.

By the way, any thoughts on which plugs might be able to land those stripers feeding near the surface?  I have tried the blurple SP minnow, black Yo-zuri Mag Darter and a dark Cordell Popper.  I have a feeling most of the fish might be shakers.  I'm still trying to catch my first fish on artificial.