Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surferdude345

teaser knot- no dropper loop

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I have seen some guys run teaser rigs that are 2 peices of mono cant figure out how to tie and cant find it anywhere can someone explain the knots? These do not use a dropper loop nor do they tie the second peice to swivel. The teaser is tied to the leader almost like an alberto but its 90' to the leader.

Thanks

I think this may be what your asking about. Take a piece of leader material a little over 4' or so and thread it through your swivel which is already tied to your main line. Run about 10-12'' through and tie a cinch knot. You now have one line that is two leaders, one 3' long for main leader and 10" or less to tie on a teaser. I like my teaser length 6-9" depending on rod length and # test leader material, less tangling and easier to manage.

I think this may be what your asking about. Take a piece of leader material a little over 4' or so and thread it through your swivel which is already tied to your main line. Run about 10-12'' through and tie a cinch knot. You now have one line that is two leaders, one 3' long for main leader and 10" or less to tie on a teaser. I like my teaser length 6-9" depending on rod length and # test leader material, less tangling and easier to manage.

This method used 2 differnet peices of line with the teasee one tied to leader not swivel. I have tried this way and it always tangled

It seems using the long tag-end of the leader that you "clinch-knot" to the swivel, results in tangling of the teaser and short line.

The dropper loop seems to keep the teaser separated from the main leader. especially since it's a doubled-up length of leader material. If the leader is around 40-50 pound, and the teaser hook not too small, you can get the doubled-up end of the dropper loop to go thru the eye of the hook and then around it...loop-connection style. Easy to rig or change in the field without tying anything and pretty secure.

Start with a two piece leader. Join the two pieces with a blood knot. Trim one end of the blood knot real short, leave the other long for the teaser. I would try to make it so that tag end with the teaser is attached to the swivel at the other end.

This method used 2 differnet peices of line with the teasee one tied to leader not swivel. I have tried this way and it always tangled

Long teaser tag ends and lighter test lines do tangle but tied correctly with a short teaser tag it should function fine. Most areas shore guys up here fish require heavy test leaders (50-80), I find the heavier test lines function better. However I will say that I usually add the teaser as a separate line after I started fishing. I catch either way. To me with with these methods, the key is keeping the teaser somewhat short as mention earlier. I am not familiar with the method you are inquiring about

Using a tag end to tie on a teaser is not generally a good idea IMO - I did that as a shortcut years ago and lost some good fish because of it. When you get a double of two good fish they will put a lot of stress on a single knot and it has a good chance to fail. I always recommend using a separate teaser line attached to the same swivel - I generally drop the teaser line 10 pounds in strength. Example: Leader 60 lb - teaser leader 50 lb.

The lighter teaser line will break first if stressed by a double hookup saving your more expensive plug/offering on your main leader.