Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trwhite

Buying fly tying supplies

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Its getting to be that time of the year again and I am already thinking about tying flies in the winter. I am in need of a resupply and have been looking around for a good website to order from. My local fly shop shut down, and I don't really like cabela's fly tying supplies. I tie mostly for trout and stripers/blues. What are some items (besides bucktail) that can be used in many different flies? What are some of the things you guys will be ordering in preparation for winter?

I too am tying for Stripers and trout-

Strung Schlappen

Krinkle Mirror FLash

Flashabou

Jungle Cock

Ostrich 8-10"

Lady Amherst tail

Saddle Hackles

Senyo's Laser dub

Senyo's Fusion Dub

Frizzle chenille

Polar Chenille

3d Molded eyes

Liquid Fusion

Zonker and Crosscut rabbit strips

ProTubes

Rubber legs

Barbell eyes

I tie for strikers, pike, smallmouth and carp. Have not completed my shopping list yet but will definitely need:

Foam for gurgles

Crystal chenille

Holographic eyes

Dumbbell eyes

Lots of hooks - different sizes

Popper bodies

I tend to buy what I can at Cabelas but shop the online fly shops for speciality items.

If you can move away from "fly tying" hooks at least for the stripers/blues. Look for straight shank worm hooks and stinger hooks. Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop and on line tackle shops like Barlow's carry a variety of these hooks from several different manufacturers like Mustad, Eagle Claw and Gamakatsu. I use them a lot for both my saltwater and warm water flies. Not so easy on the trout side. Some of the "drop shot" hooks in smaller sizes work for caddis dries. Aberdeen style crappie hooks are 2xl straight shank and can be found down to a size 14 and up to a 3/0. I use them in the smaller sizes for wooly buggers, larger nymphs and terrestrials.

I buy my supplies from various sources, including those that have been mentioned. For hooks & beads you should check out Allen's Fly Fishing. I've been very pleased with hooks I've gotten from them. Sign up for their email newsletter too, as they sometimes have hooks & beads on sale. Their regular prices are reasonable IMO, but sales make them that much better! ;)

They seem to be getting a good following for their rods & reels too, but I've not tried any of them myself. :)

Also try The Fly Shop, Feathercraft and Stockard (JS).

Just an FYI . Feathercraft has a 15% off $100 or more on materials until Nov.18th .Type Fly Tyer Promo in special instructions box when ordering.