Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

NFL rule change I wouldn't mind seeing

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

...First move the kick off line back to the 30 yard line...then, regarding the penalty for kicking the kick off out of bounds, change that rule so that if the kicker can kick it out of bounds inside the 5 yard line, that's where the receiving team has to start from (otherwise, still a penalty if it's kicked out of bounds beyond that)...of course with the league moving in a more offensive minded direction, this would never fly...

I'd go for taking giving the ball on the 35 if the kickoff goes out of the end zone on the fly. This would take care of it and force the kickers to make strategic placement of the ball. Right now kickoffs are the most boring play in football.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ View Post

Right now kickoffs are the most boring play in football.

by design I think.

I believe due to the frequency of injury the NFL would likely WANT to take kickoffs out entirely,

but I'm assuming due to backlash they don't want to,

so they just modified some rules to make it as close to an automatic dead play as possible.

The league wants to get rid of the kickoff all together. I believe we will see it in the next 5 years.

My idea for a new rule is to push the extra point spot back far enough so it's not a slam dunk.

started with banning the wedge

And subsequently, the wedge breaker!!

Either a 195 pound DB type that would try to run around the wedge, or a 245 pound LB bringing thunder!!

by design I think.

I believe due to the frequency of injury the NFL would likely WANT to take kickoffs out entirely,

but I'm assuming due to backlash they don't want to,

so they just modified some rules to make it as close to an automatic dead play as possible.

NFL games are becoming unwatchable. Remember when special teams mattered and could win or lose the game for you. A missed tackle or blazing speed could earn your team 6 pts in a matter of seconds.

The PAT should be more difficult...that i agree with.

its not the kickoff stuff and extra point stuff.....its the no targeting, cant jam the receiver at the line of scrimmage etc stuff...you cant fundamentally change the game and expect it to not suffer.

im ok with not being able to chop block if the defensive guy is engaged with another blocker, that's the kid of thing the average fan wouldn't even realize...but the slow and steady softening of defense is killing the game.

Ill take a 17-14 game any day over a high scoring game...

problem is, we'll watch anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugeDinghy View Post

its not the kickoff stuff and extra point stuff.....its the no targeting, cant jam the receiver at the line of scrimmage etc stuff...you cant fundamentally change the game and expect it to not suffer.

im ok with not being able to chop block if the defensive guy is engaged with another blocker, that's the kid of thing the average fan wouldn't even realize...but the slow and steady softening of defense is killing the game.

problem is, we'll watch anyway.

You can still jam the receiver at the line. You just can't even breathe on him past the 5 yard mark. Or impede him too much in the first 5 as they'll get you for holding.

The Saints whining about the offensive interference call on Graham is priceless. If he was playing defense the flag would've been thrown before he extended his arms, as soon as he touched the guys shoulderpads. 

I'd go for taking giving the ball on the 35 if the kickoff goes out of the end zone on the fly. This would take care of it and force the kickers to make strategic placement of the ball. Right now kickoffs are the most boring play in football.
extra points are right there as well. 99+%

when polled america thinks the complete opposite by an overwhelming margin, this is entertainment. BTW 43 % of the vewiers are women , America wants high scoring, frequent scoring, pass thrown, passes thrown deep..... they still want the hitting,so i guess you can agree on something.

when polled america thinks the complete opposite by an overwhelming margin, this is entertainment. BTW 43 % of the vewiers are women , America wants high scoring, frequent scoring, pass thrown, passes thrown deep..... they still want the hitting,so i guess you can agree on something.

that's the problem im pointing out...way too much priority put on offense/scoring...

that's the problem im pointing out...

But my point is what the fan is looking for...see above....The viewership has never ever been greater.. Eventually you will have NFL games in eastern Europe at 6 am, England and Spain at 9:00 am followed up by the US games all sunday long and if that ain't enough thursday night is beginning to take hold.

I don't necessarily agree with all this, but this is the direction of the NFL, its happening. women represent the largest growth of viewership and they also hold the purse strings as consumers for the entire family.

I get it, I don't disagree with you that its happening. that's obvious. that's the discussion. they are doing the same thing with hockey. when they are done with it, the original, die hard hockey fan is going to hate what they did with it. but he'll watch. that's all im doing is whining, but ill continue to watch, and bitch about how the game used to be.......