Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
levari

offshore seabase rod?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I am looking for suggestions for a rod that I can use in an offshore seabass trip. I don't want to spend too much on it..Need to be around 7'6' or 8', up to 20oz ..Thanks in advance..

Sorry for the misspelling...

There's a heavy Shakespeare rod at 8' that is about $100 and is good for up to 20 oz., it might suit. I know J&H carries it. USCB 1180 XH.

It might actually handle more ... haven't used it enough to matter since getting it. There is also a private J&H label rod, I think a very heavy TriFlex Lamiglass, that has nicer guides and is half the weight, but it's a lot more money.

Lami BL 8050C will handle 20 oz and then some. It is a beast and not much fun to fish, but if 20 oz is what you need, it will do it. Lami BL 7640C will handle up to 20oz top end. It is more fun to use. I have used both codfishing. The 8050C usually just came along for the ride and didn't see much use.

Thanks guys, I ordered one from Bogan for $195. I was thinking about the Ugly Stick but then I decided after passing by Bogan shop for the last 20 years, it might be the time to give him a little business..:)

I have a custom Bogan (bought used) - 8ft - handled 16oz with ease and fished 60 miles offshore with the Bogans and beat up cod & Ling real good - I belive its glass - we fished 160" deep and I felt every nibble

I received the rod few days ago. It's heavy so it must be all glass and it is built very well...Seems like a rod that would last few lifetimes all the way through the lifetime of the children of my great grand children...:)

I bought this rod as a backup, it bents like a noodle..A terrible rod for this type of fishing...The $50 penn was a much better rod..too bad they stopped producing them..

If I have it then and the weather's favorable, sure.

I don't know what it is, really - Al Goldberg is building it on a TriFlex blank, cut back to 7'10" from 8', spiral wrap and optimized for 12-14 oz., good for 20 if necessary; for Montauk cod and East End blackfish in 100-150' of water.