Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlueFen

Alvey Reels - Anyone ever try them?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Line twist is a big problem and get's worse the further you cast with them and don't believe it if someone tells you that a swivel will fix the problem.

Cheers

Tim

Here's my two cents:

• There are several old Alvey threads on SOL with good info.
  • Alveys come in different sizes -- pan fish to sharks.
  • There are plenty of used Alveys on the big auction site.
  • Suitable rods are harder to find. Read what Belmo has written about this.
  • Line twist sucks and it gets worse the more you cast, both length of cast and number of casts.
  • Don't buy an Alvey expecting to outcast anyone who knows how to cast a spinning reel or conventional reel. It probably won't happen.
  • Alveys can take a dunking and keep on working. You can drop them in the sand, rinse them out, and carry on.

I am working up to it.

14 Foot Lamiglas built for the Alvey:

[img=

The Alvey 650 on the 14 foot Lamiglas:

ry%3D400

My 7000 CT Mag likely will out cast it, but we will see when I get to the beach when the weather warms up.

There is a way to combat line twist with the Alveys.

Is that the rig just sold on ebay? It took some restraint for me not to bid on it. Glad you got it. I'll be anxious to hear how it casts for you. Also interested to know how you deal with line twist.

I have one. I don't fish it often but it's fun to play with

Immensely powerful. It can out horse any other reel I own including an Accurate tuna reel

A pair of the best type of ball bearing swivels in tandem does help a lot with the line twist issue.

Petty, yep,the one one on Ebay. I have two other Alveys and have always wanted one of the big Lami rods. Hard to find,as most of the rods built by Lami for the Alveys went to Australia! I think this blank is long since discontinued, the fate of most of the big surf blanks due to the high shipping costs.

I was amazed that no one else bid on the combo, Alvey popularity must be fading away.

I would love to have a copy of the rod spec sheet for my collection!

I will be ordering the Alvey 6500BCVRRT as soon as the Xmas rush is over. Plan on building one of my Rainshadow 1569F blanks into a rod for it. This is the long since discontinued 13 footer with the 60/40 split, RX7 and E Glass combination.

I would love to have a copy of the rod spec sheet for my collection!

Sorry, Siverado --- I never had the Lami spec sheet. Just saw the picture online a while back and grabbed it.