Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stripstruck

Roosterfish in Manzanillo, MX? (Colima state) Anyone been...

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Going to Manzanillo with my gf's family for a week and desperately hoping there are some roosters in the area. From googling so far, it looks like people definitely catch them farther south in Zihuatenejo...assuming they are some in the area here as well.

If anyone has been, would recommend any shops or guides that would be awesome. I will likely be fly fishing but may bring a plug rod as well. Happy to hire a guide, or pay for a pange or whatever recommended scenario is.

Looks like great sailfishing in the area...so if nothing else will go after that.

Thanks for any intel!

Google: The Roosterfish Foundation

Contact Ed Kunze the director.

If anyone has a guy in the area he will.

Be sure to include the time of year you are going. If it isn't a good time, he will tell you to save your pesos.

Keith

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosterSeeker View Post

Be sure to include the time of year you are going. If it isn't a good time, he will tell you to save your pesos.

Keith

I've spent a lot of time in Mexican waters and every time I have gone it was a different experience. Be prepared for anything and you will not be dissapointed. Fish for what's biting and you will have fun. Trying to target something that is't there at that time can be a frustrating experience. Trust your guide to put you onto fish. They are REALLY good fishermen for the most part

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosterSeeker View Post

Keith

Thanks for the advice. Got a quick response from Ed but he said the area was an "enigma" to him still.

Always enjoy trying to figure out new areas--will be a fun challenge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastal eddy View Post

I've spent a lot of time in Mexican waters and every time I have gone it was a different experience. Be prepared for anything and you will not be dissapointed. Fish for what's biting and you will have fun. Trying to target something that is't there at that time can be a frustrating experience. Trust your guide to put you onto fish. They are REALLY good fishermen for the most part

I haven't found a guide yet but am going to come armed for a few different options and see what happens. As long as I can lock into something that bends the rod, it will be a good time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripstruck View Post

Thanks for the advice. Got a quick response from Ed but he said the area was an "enigma" to him still.

Always enjoy trying to figure out new areas--will be a fun challenge.

Bummer!

I know Ed was up the coast last year for some conservation meeting on the Dorado issue.

Thought he may have hooked up with someone there on Roosters after he launched the Roosterfish Foundation last year about the same time.

Have a Great Trip!!!

Keith

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianBM View Post

Let us know how it goes; if it's an "enigma" to Ed Kunze, you might be the first guy on the 'net to say anything detailed about it. An Internet sensation!

Roger That!!

Fame awaits!!

(posts without pic will be discredited lol)

Keith

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastal eddy View Post

Exactly so!!

When I make it down, the Captain always is THE best information about what to fish for.

Many trips down I have been greeted with "I think that we should go out for XXXXX instead"

That is what we go out for.

Keith

Corvina look a lot like a weakfish, and I believe they get 40lbs +. I caught them at a rivermouth with livebait, I was told in the summer when the rivers are really running, you catch them and snook with plugs.

I believe the corvina is very strictly regulated. They were all but annihilated within the recent past in the Sea of Cortez. And, yes, it's a kissin' cousin to a weakfish.

Pretty belated update but here it goes.

So, we ended up flying into Manzanillo but were actually staying in La Manzanilla (1.5 hrs north of airport). Amazingly, the house was located directly on one of those little half-moon beaches in between two rocky outcroppings and was prob 3 - 4 miles in length. And the house had two kayaks! So, I had significantly more mobility than I had originally expected.

I ended up just fishing every morning off of the kayak and did really well. First morning, just went to the corner where all the birds were and caught a bunch of Crevalle, Green jacks, and needlefish.

2nd morning stepped it up, found the bonito and caught 2 or 3 bonito as well as all the jacks a boy could want.

3rd morning I kept exploring and finally ran into some roosterfish. Caught two roosters that morning and figured I had accomplished the goal of the trip. My older GoPro was not charging well so I hardly got any pictures but here's a few crappy ones I did manage to get.

Tried one day at the mouth of the river (on foot) based on some advice I heard but it was totally dead so that was a wash (apparently better in the evenings) -- good to practice my spanish though getting to and from was interesting.

Last two mornings I bagged two roosters each morning for a trip total of 6 on fly. Biggest one I caught was probably 10 - 12lbs, most were in 6 - 8 lb range. Lost one big one and saw a few others that I think were ~15.

Once I started to get the hang of fishing for them, it was really awesome. Seemed like they were mixed in with the bonito and if you waited for the crash to subside, they would start popping up (or were easier to single out). 3 of the last 4 I caught were sight-fished as they cruised the edge of the mayhem and you could see their sickles slicing through the water. Just cast out in front of them and rip it back as hard as you could and seemed to be pretty effective. It is absolutely exhausting though trying to strip single handed as fast as you can in a crappy kayak. I tried to keep my line really neat and coiled for the 1st cast -- took some patience and getting used to but was definitely effective.

One afternoon I got a local panga guy to take me out and we drove to the edge of where some rock outcropping met the ocean. Was a pretty cool spot where you could tell water fell off pretty deep. Tons of manta rays and baitfish around. I had him just bump me around the edges of big rock and I casted at it from afar. Caught a bunch of nice jacks and then had this awesome grab from the ol' dorado! I have caught a handful of dolphin on fly in South Florida but this was probably my biggest, and definitely coolest as I was casting at structure with a 9 wt and ended up with a sweet dolphin.

OK, on to the pics!1842329