Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NightTide

Jig Pouring Problems

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Today I started to make jigs for bucktails with my father we heated the mold and put pam in then we poured. When we took them out they had the write shape but they had these waves and creases all over them. We did not use flux could that have something to do with it? If you have an idea how to help please leave a comment. Thanks

How did you heat the mold? What i do is a few pours without hooks or eyelets to get the mold hot.

As Buddha mentioned "smoking" the mold above a lit candle to season the mold aids in flow, , but more for the release of cast items.

Not the best idea, give my suggestion a whirl next pour. It should take a few pours to fill the cavity, and get the mold hot, but leave the hooks out . When you see that you are getting a complete jig, you should be good to go.Ive used the pam before, but I still like to smoke the mold. A few vids out there for you to check as well.

Steady pour with well heated lead. No Pam, no smoking the mold, no heating the mold. A steady pour with lead heated in a pot designed to melt lead. The ripples are from rapid cooling when it hits the cooler mold. Heating the mold (aluminum, which holds heat horribly...) seems unnecessary to me if your lead is hot enough. Pouring leading into a mold holding any sort of liquid sounds scary to me. How pure is your lead?