Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SJRhino

PP Slick8 issues?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Ever since I spooled #30 PP slick 8 on my Penn SSV I've been getting little (1/2") loop knots ("wind knot") about 15-20 yards from my plug. The other day I actually had a loop on the spool in which the main line ran through. I never get wind knots. I pull the line tight on the spool after closing the bail manually on each cast. I've been throwing lighter lures, SPs & mag darters. After losing 2 plugs, I took the PP Slick off last night and noticed that instead of having no memory, it had some memory although no where near as much as mono. Has anyone had similar issues? I respooled with Suffix 832, since I never experienced this issue with 832 in the past. The Slick 8 will go on a bait reel.

Not sure what rod you used it on but I ran into a similar problem when I had slick 8 on a cheaper rod.

Switched the reel over to a Seagis and had no problems. But good you bought 832 instead as I think it's the best in it's class. (My slick8 was a gift)

Its on a 9' Tica fast action rod. I have thought about it being my aggressive casting style, but does not explain the loop developing on the spool. And I'm really confused how the line came to run through a loop on the spool.

I've never had an issue with PP Slick. This is my second season with it. The only thing I've noticed is the line twists pretty bad from throwing a pencil, or spook for a while....but I suppose any line will do that. It seems to take some time with long casts and straight retrieves to get the twists out. However, it hasn't caused any real problem for me so far.

We have it on 4 EM PRO's in 30 & 40 with no problems at all since it came out. Kid had a little problem with it on his Battle. As far as the loop on the spool, as with any braid you have to be careful and close the bail by hand or if you don't and not watching, problems. I learned the hard way.

Did you spool it yourself or did a tackle shop spool it?

I spooled it myself as I have been for many years. Years past, I've used regular PP, Suffix 832, spiderwire and fireline all without these issues. As I mentioned above, I'm somewhat OCD about closing the bail manually, pulling the line tight on spool and even putting tension on the line as I reel in the slack after casting.

I spooled it myself as I have been for many years. Years past, I've used regular PP, Suffix 832, spiderwire and fireline all without these issues. As I mentioned above, I'm somewhat OCD about closing the bail manually, pulling the line tight on spool and even putting tension on the line as I reel in the slack after casting.

It sounds like the stuff just doesn't work for your style. The other brands are still good braids. It all personal preference at this level of braid.

You and slick just don't play well together, lesson learned.

A trick I learned back when braid was a new item was to stop the outflow of line when your lure hits the water(trigger finger against the spool lip). With some metal lures you can even feel them wiggle as they sink.

And your retrieve begins with the first turn of the handle. Using super 8 slick since it came out and haven't had a wind knot.