Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

small unweighted soft plastics, 21 gram maria jigs/epoxy minnows - saltiga 4000 or stella 6000?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

What rod length and action.

Keeping in mind you'd typically use lighter line on a smaller reel (4000), lighter lines toss the smaller, lighter stuff farther especially the unweighted stuff.

What rod length and action.

Keeping in mind you'd typically use lighter line on a smaller reel (4000), lighter lines toss the smaller, lighter stuff farther especially the unweighted stuff.

I'm looking at using it on my 8' St Croix inshore avid, MH - rated up to two ounces. I also have a 7 1/2' Tidemaster with a Stradic 5000, and I can use that one for the soft plastic duty (which is what I did this past albie season)

Rich I think it comes down to what test line and leader you use. The rods and reels you are pairing up are ok. The added length of the 8'er doesn't necessarily mean greater distance if your tossing unweighted zoom super flukes with a heavier line and leader. Myself I have heavier line (20 # Fireline) on the 8'er, compared to 14 # Fireline on the 7'er. I use the 7'ers for the small jigs and soft stuff and on the 8'er I use a casting egg to deliver stuff like zoom flukes, deceivers and sand eel teaser flies.

I like the heavier line and the 8'er because it becomes more versatile for different surf applications and heavy fresh water use (pike).

Saltiga has a overhanging lip even with a full spool there is still quite a bit of lip exposed which will cause a little friction probably reducing the casting distance a little. Stella you can fill right up to bottom edge of beveled lip. Less friction as line goes out with Stella so better casting distance would make sense.

thanks a lot guys - tough choice because I can get both at reduced prices - the place where I can get the stella typically excludes Shimano from their various sales, but they aren't this time in honor of veterans during a two day event...I know because I called them 3 times to verify this once I saw Shimano, or any vendor for that matter, wasn't listed among any exclusions (only sales items and fire arms)- so I have them holding one for me...I'm actually going to call them one more time before making the trek up there...I also had to verify that they'll accept DD214 paperwork for past members since the language in the ad almost seemed to indicate this was directed at current members of the military who had valid id...the last call I make is just to get a name in case they're wrong...LOL

I just don't want to get hung up on two things - 1) the idea of throwing light stuff; while that is the vision I have in my head, it really does amount to a small part of my fishing season, which will also include throwing various size stuff (but not overly large) at bass and blues, and will also be used for trips down to FL, where I often run into large jacks, big albies, occasional tarpon (athough I haven't run into any of the monsterous ones yet), snook, etc. If pushed, I can use the stradic set up for the really light stuff (that reel handled things nicely this past fall).....and 2) the customer service/warranty issues...I think the fact that buying a stella seems to put you in a special club was blinding me to the fact that Daiwa won't let you down either (they just won't bump you to the head of the line because you bought their high end stuff)...so I think my impression that Daiwa's customer service sucks may have been way overblown....Anyway, I still have anywhere from right now until tomrrow night to make this decision..

If you plan on using it in the surf, the saltiga is definately beefier (in my mind better able to handle getting knocked around).  If its strictly a boat reel take a look at the Alan Hawk review of the Saltiga Exp. 5500.  Likes it better than the Stellas.  I know you said you were throwing light but you also mentioned tarpon etc.

And the winner is.....

Stella sw 600hg ...thanks for the advice everyone :-)

Got it w/ a 20% discount and a big assist from the BST forum....lol

Btw, the only perplexing thing is why is the handle design as such so that it's either on in a fixed position or removed vs the option of unscrewing it enough to fold back? I believe the 2008 version allowed for the latter

I almost forgot to mention, the place where I bought the reel also offered an opportunity for anyone (me in this case) to do something for the troops on Veteran's Day....if you bought a gift card, they donated 10% to Veterans (Veterans Count)....so while at the register to pay for the reel, I had them ring up the reel so I could see the price, then purchased a gift card for the amount of the reel and used that to pay for the reel :) Thanks KTP for that