Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hotfishgirl

cod from the shore

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I recently have been finding small cod in my bait traps??Never have i left my bait traps going so late in the year but its been interesting seeing what gets caught.

Maybe now might be a good shot at catching a cod from the surf???My traps are in the marshfield/duxbury area.

At one time during this time frame Cod fishing from the beaches from and around North Scituate was a happening event. All at night however, with very little day activity. Duxbury beach at the end of the Powder point Bridge , Scusset beach were some hot spots as the final runs of bass made there exit for there winter home. Many times we would get into some late large while picking up cod at the same tide. I can recall more then one occasion when a single 40 pound bass or greater was among the catch of nice bright codfish. I also can recall a night out on the beach near the North and South Rivers where three of us each caught one fish each. One was a 46 pound bass, One was a12 pound Blue fish and one was a 15 pound cod. You never new what was swimming in the water during those time frames :D

For those who have the wherefor all give it try, as one never will find out unless you are putting in the time to see what is happening under the water.

How small are these cod? Any chances they could be tommy cod? I haven't fished for smelt in a lot time, but used to catch a lot of tommy cod as a bi-catch around this time of year

How small are these cod? Any chances they could be tommy cod? I haven't fished for smelt in a lot time, but used to catch a lot of tommy cod as a bi-catch around this time of year

They are 6-8 inches,not tommy cod.I remember when i was a child catching a ton of tommy cod from a local pier but have not seen any tommy cod in years.

They are 6-8 inches,not tommy cod.I remember when i was a child catching a ton of tommy cod from a local pier but have not seen any tommy cod in years.

HFG,

Maybe they are juvenile cod. Wouldn't that be cool. We might see shore cod again in our lifetime.

As far as where it presently stands, here's my take.

Cod are total patsies for heavy jigs, bucktails, eel skins, etc. My Dad used to hate fishing jigs and eel skins in the fall b/c he hated cod for some reason. :kook:

Many times in the late fall I would return to Worc with more canal cod than bass. Tony Stetzko and I both saw cod breaking in the surf many times in the late fall.

That being said, given all the guys throwing jigs and plastics these days, if there were even a trace amount of cod around, IMHO, someone would have caught one. I haven't seen a cod taken from the canal in well over 20 years. :(

If i caught 4 small cod in my traps after the storm perhaps they just came in to eat busted up clams.Why did i not try soaking some clams that day:huh:

In the 'glory days', that would be the time (after a big storm w/ clams, etc pushed in) when it would almost be a guarantee for cod

I remember running the beach after a nor'easter at the speed limit or so and stop every time I saw a bunch of seagulls at a spot, get out, ,and pickup a large sea clam that the gulls could not pickup to drop and break.

I would have enough for a pie or two by the time I reached the point.

That's my kind of clamen

I know your a fish expert but could they be tommy cod? I have caught a lot of them this time of year when smelt fishing.

I suppose but they look just like baby cod to me.I'm not an expert but i have seen a few zillion fish.

So two things:

1. A buddy of mine was killing tommycod up in the Taunton a month or two ago.

but...

2. Another buddy of mine caught a keeper size cod waaay up at the head of the Sakonnet river.

So ... yeah they could be tommycod as it sounds like it's a good year for them, but if cod were chasing bait all the way up the sakonnet river in RI, I wouldn't be surprised that they were inshore in the CCB!

Basically if they had the shape of a codfish, but had the coloration of a horned pout (bullhead catfish) but with a mottled pattern, it was more than likely a tommy cod. And the fins/tail have a somewhat more rounded shape to them...