Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GeoffT

Buying a used Wilderness Systems Ride 135

20 posts in this topic

A friend of mine offered to sell his kayak, a forest green 2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 for 600 bucks. He's including the paddle and Scotty rod holder in the deal. Already rigged for a Humminbird fish finder (not included). I test rode it today. Solid, stable and comfortable. Even caught fish in 45 degree water. I liked it in spite of going in not expecting to be interested enough to buy it. Now I'm really seriously thinking of getting it.

Do you think it's a good price? Condition of the kayak is very good.

Thanks for the input. Never had a yak before so I have nothing to compare it with. I thought it moved pretty good though. But I did notice it's heavy but probably because the material is thick and solid. Couldn't even push against it with my fingers.

Hey Geoff,

The Ride is a very nice kayak. Solid, stable, most guys can stand on them. Great freshwater platform... passable for occasional saltwater use. $600 sounds like a great deal for what you've described.

Give some thought to how you plan to haul it around. If you don't have a pick-up, you will need to incur some additional expense in the way of roof racks or a trailer.

You are gonna like kayak fishing.

Hey Geoff,

The Ride is a very nice kayak. Solid, stable, most guys can stand on them. Great freshwater platform... passable for occasional saltwater use. $600 sounds like a great deal for what you've described.

Give some thought to how you plan to haul it around. If you don't have a pick-up, you will need to incur some additional expense in the way of roof racks or a trailer.

You are gonna like kayak fishing.

Your input appreciated as always. :)

I want to get a yak for next year to explore other lakes, ponds, rivers and reservoirs that don't allow gas motors. My friend used it in Raritan Bay several times for blues and stripers and did great.

I had a lot of fun with the yak yesterday. More comfortable on my sometimes cranky back than I expected.

I have already figured into the cost of getting a roof rack for my car.

Storage is another issue to consider.

My wife didn't appreciate my yak in the living room of the old apartment.

Welcome ( I hope) to the plastic navy.

Geoff,

Is the rudder assembly damaged? In the first pic it looks like it is flopped over lime a Hobie twist & go rudder.

$600 is a good price since it has a $200 rudder kit- so long as it is fully functional. Good luck!

Geoff,

Is the rudder assembly damaged? In the first pic it looks like it is flopped over lime a Hobie twist & go rudder.

$600 is a good price since it has a $200 rudder kit- so long as it is fully functional. Good luck!

Yes, the rudder is fully functional according to my friend although I didn't use it yesterday. Good to know it cost as much as you say cuz that makes it a little bit sweeter deal.

Storage is another issue to consider.

My wife didn't appreciate my yak in the living room of the old apartment.

Welcome ( I hope) to the plastic navy.

I bet :D

I have a garage so storage not an issue.

The 135 is a work horse. I have a Commander 140, ride 115 and 135. The 135 is a do all boat and it's not really that slow. Paddle next to a cuda. I fish with a lot of Hobie guys and have no problem keeping up. The new air max pro will also fit it and a stand up bar is coming very soon. I had an older 135 and got the 115 when it came out. Loved the 115 but wanted a little more speed so I got the newer model 135 and you can throw a lot more gear in and on it because I do 2-3 day trips. You want a boat that can handle anything from small lakes to big water that's the boat and that's a hell of a great price especially with the rudder.

troy nyc, I should have clarified what I meant by slow. Compared to the WS Tarpon 120 and T140, the Ride takes more effort to maintain the same speed.

I think due to the hull design there is less glide per stroke on the Ride. Still its a great yak and I use mine often, especially in cold water when I definitely don't want to turtle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PM Casting View Post

troy nyc, I should have clarified what I meant by slow. Compared to the WS Tarpon 120 and T140, the Ride takes more effort to maintain the same speed.

I think due to the hull design there is less glide per stroke on the Ride. Still its a great yak and I use mine often, especially in cold water when I definitely don't want to turtle.

There's no way it's faster than the Tarpons. Definitely faster than the 115. A friend and I use the 135s for river tournaments to go upstream. We did a 2 mile paddle up the Susky in PA with an 18 inch rise over night and got first and second place. We both agreed that Tarpon 140s would have been great boats. I have also paddled the ATAK and it's faster than the ride but the 135 with rudder is a no brainer for $600.  

I agree. It is a great buy for $600, and a great fishing platform. I'm sure the OP will enjoy it.

I've never had mine out on a river but it sounds like it would be a blast!

Perhaps one of these days I'll try the Delaware!