Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Space

Stradic 5000FJ vs. 6000 FJ for Surf Plugging?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

OK Guys, I was wondering which reel you would Prefer for plugging and using lures for surf fishing.... the Shimano Stradic 5000FJ vs the 6000FJ? I've noticed the 6000 is twice the weight.. I'm looking for something to throw for hours on end, but also to handle large stripers. Thanks in advance, as I'm wanting to buy one within the week.

I burned out a new 5000fj on a school of 20lb plus stripers in a days worth of fishing. Shimano service repaired the reel but it was not as smooth and didn't operate the same. I would recommend the 6000fj or the 8000fj. Both are about the same in weight but the 8000fj has a larger spool and casts very well. The 5000fj is a nice reel but didn't handle the larger fish for long. For schoolies or light use it was decent. I went with the 8000fj for regular use and really liked it.

Would like to mention the stradic's don't like the sand. The new saragosa sw has a sealed drag and body. I have them in the 10k size and they are nice. The 5k saragosa sw might be worth considering for a light surf reel.

The difference in size between a 5000 and 6000 is a big step. The 5000 is good on an 8-9 ft rod, while the 6000 is best on a 10-11'6 imo. The 6000 is almost redundant since the 8000 holds more line and weighs a little less due to spool design.

I would agree with jersey salt, although I would say 5000 is good on every thing up to 8FT. The 6000 would be good on everything from a 9 footer up.

You might want to look at the 8000 as its lighter technically, it hold more line than the 6000 as spool is thinner that is why it is lighter once you put braid on it its going to weigh more.

the 6000 and the 8000 are close to 10 oz more than than the 5000

I just about spool a 5000 on an 8' rod with 30lb braid.  for me its a 6k on an 8' and 9' and an 8k on 10'+.  personal preference I guess. and depends if you need the extra line capacity or not, where you are fishing, and  depends on how you fish.  im going to put together a light 8'r for fluke and most of my summer fishing and thinking of going with a 5000.  so my opinion on something to throw for hrs on end would be a 5000. 

also don't know how you burn out a reel on stripers.  I have a 14 yr old 5000 that has caught thousands of fish mostly 8-12lb bluefish and it is still a solid little reel.