Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SaltWaterRooky

Fishing Cart

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

This is the fishing cart I am trying to build. I can't seem to find the actual base cart that can truly hold 200 pnds. Every review I have read about these says they are weak, so if I do get one I will have to reinforce it. I plan on adding things to them such as the rod holders, wider wheels, a folding cutting board, extra baskets, and the front will have a separate piece that folds down to stop it from moving in the sand or on the pier if I get a big fish. It will be big enough to put a medium small cooler in the middle along with my tackle or a live bait tank.

Any suggestions? I don't want it to be to big as I have to take it on the bus.

This is the fishing cart I am trying to build. I can't seem to find the actual base cart that can truly hold 200 pnds. Every review I have read about these says they are weak, so if I do get one I will have to reinforce it. I plan on adding things to them such as the rod holders, wider wheels, a folding cutting board, extra baskets, and the front will have a separate piece that folds down to stop it from moving in the sand or on the pier if I get a big fish. It will be big enough to put a medium small cooler in the middle along with my tackle or a live bait tank.

Any suggestions? I don't want it to be to big as I have to take it on the bus.

200 lbs...... that's a lot of gear to be hauling on muni. But, I guess, 3/4" plywood should do it. I see carts like that on Pac. pier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sturm View Post

200 lbs...... that's a lot of gear to be hauling on muni. But, I guess, 3/4" plywood should do it. I see carts like that on Pac. pier.

I've heard of carts like this falling apart at the bottom because the load was to heavy. I want to make sure it's sturdy enough to haul an ice chest filled with ice, fish, and beverages, plus all my normal fishing gear. :)

Plywood? I'll probably use aluminum for the bottom.

You might want to use bigger tires/wheels, unless you're not planning on pulling/pushing in the sand. Minimize to two wheels instead of 4, with studs to hold it up. Also, wire, which is what the diagram shows would corrode eventually when exposed to salt. I've been looking into using PVC pipes. If you Google "Fishing Carts", they have some images .. but the cost is like above $200.00. But you can find some diagrams if you search enough and flip through the pages.

The cart shown is just something I drew up on paintshop. I plan on fixing a few things and using a metal or plastic that doesn't rust. Definitely putting big wheels on the back and if I have front wheels, they will lock in place.

I was also thinking of making something like a suitcase with wide wheels that has a small cooler that slides out at the bottom or top. Thinking something strong enough that I can sit on and attach pole holders.

A wheel chair might be more comfortable.  ADA approved for the bus, padded seats, arm rests locking wheels and if your worried about the weight capacity, I've seen double wides available.  

Sorry couldn't resist.

Good luck

If your costs are upward of $150, i'd go with the rocknroller cart.  I lug all my instruments on this thing and they just added no flat tires.  They offer cool attachment pieces that you can probably mod to suit the daily fisherman.

All kidding aside, I saw a rig at Baker that I thought was pretty clever, guy took a golf bag caddie and converted to a fishing caddie that held his cooler, gear and multiple rod holders. Self standing, big wheels all and all a pretty clean set up.  

One of my favorite parts of fishing is getting ready for the next outing, rigging my gear and the rig to carry it.  Currently I rock an old WWII Framed back pack with a 5 gallon bucket w/ plywood cutting board / bucket top seat, and all the lash points needed for sand spikes, extra rods you name it.  It carries more than I need.  The only problem is when I want to keep what i catch I don't' know what to do with my gear that I carried in, in my bucket!!  What to do what to do.....................................

Ice

I was looking at the Golf bag option. I'd have to do some surgery on it, but I could probably make it work. I was also thinking of those folding chairs that have bags under them. Add some big wheels to the back, pole holder to the sides, and I would be set. I am buying a Erector Set (yeah I know! lol) and am going to work on some options in a miniature form, then try to build it in real size.

After years of trying to carry more and more gear now I am carrying less and less. Everything I carry with me either fits in a backpack or a couple plastic snap lid containers I carry in my pockets.