Mag Darter vs. SP Minnow

Rate this topic

yogiiiboy

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DooPA77 said:

What sizes of these is good?

I just picked up a few of the larger 6+ inch SP and Mags (2 oz) - did I go too big?

Not at all, they will definitely produce for you. With that being said, I prefer the middle size on both the sp and magdarter. I feel that the mid size casts best.. probably just in my head though.

The SP minnow is easily one of my favorite saltwater lures. The larger SP does have a different action to it at slower speeds and has quickly become my favorite plug for stripers on the Cape.Ā 

Ā 

The green mackerel variation seems to perform anywhere in the world, for stripers in the Canal to snook in Costa rica and beyond. I easily got twice as many hook ups with on GT's and various other tropical reef fish in Indonesia/New GuineaĀ than any of myĀ strategic anglers, maria loaded, nomads, OTLĀ orĀ FCL floating stickbaits in my past couple trips. Even on the mid-sized SPs swapped with two single shout kudako hooks ziptied and canal rigged on the belly, or one treble and one single inline hook on the tail, most of my SPs were capable of landingĀ GTs under 30lbs fished on tight drag (although hook hangers would be done). In fact, every single lost fish on my last trip was due to line breakoffs on the reefĀ (80lb leaders) instead of a SP minnow failure. However, when fishing with true GT-class tackle (PE8 line), I still opted for my larger stickbaits.Ā Mid-size SP minnows connected with a lot more GTs and bluefin trevallies than the larger variation. I highly recommend it for when smaller GTs are keyed in on smaller fish. Small silver tins like a 3/4 oz Kastmaster were the only lureĀ that caught more variety of fishĀ in shallow tropical reefs than the mid-sized SP. Let's hope they work out in Hawaii next week..

I remember 1 night when I ran into a SOL'er (I believe SPCFudgie) he was catching consistently on a mag darter, and I had a similar color sp.....I caught nothing. I've see situations when it was reversed, or color mattered. I have no idea why, I just know that sometimes fish are picky, sometimes they are not. Two great lures, that can be purchased just about anywhere.

31 mins ago, Sheisty said:

I remember 1 night when I ran into a SOL'er (I believe SPCFudgie) he was catching consistently on a mag darter, and I had a similar color sp.....I caught nothing. I've see situations when it was reversed, or color mattered. I have no idea why, I just know that sometimes fish are picky, sometimes they are not. Two great lures, that can be purchased just about anywhere.

There's definitelyĀ some magic to working a Mag Darter "correctly" (as in how the fish want it right now) at times.Ā  I've been on both ends of that deal several times.

(*member formerly known as 'JohnB.')

2 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

my go to is a mother of pearl SP....i just picked up Ā a bone mag darter and 2 of the hydro minnows from yozuri ...cat wait to test them out

Ā 

the 15f mother of pearl isĀ Ā mine too - rigged canal style.Ā  The mag darter in mother of pearl caught for me but not like the sp.Ā 

Ā