yogiiiboy

Mag Darter vs. SP Minnow

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

Which one have you had more success with? Which do you feel casts better and what's your best rod you throw them with. I know all lures have their place and time but do you feel one outshines the other during a particular point?

When used correctly the SP is a fish killer(super slow in a little current).

The only negative of the sp that I have noticed, the fish tend to be smaller.

The mag darter doesn't catch as many fish but the fish it does catch do seem larger.

I dont want to high jack this thread here cause it seam interesting. Little help here on the mag, ive never used one. Ive just got into using plugs "got tired of soaking bait for years", how much current are we talking about. I fish the cental shores of CT and we dont get anything like i saw in Jersey this summer. Sp's have worked well for me but the fish are small. Not complaining about catching fish but i would try the mag here in CT. Any input would be helpful. Thnx

Bigfish the more current you have the better, but even if you don't have a strong current toss your darter out then give it a tug or two to get it down to where you want it then take out any slack and retrieve it as slow as you can while still feeling resistance on the plug . I love the action on the mag darter and I give it a little twitch every once in a while.

Bigfish the more current you have the better, but even if you don't have a strong current toss your darter out then give it a tug or two to get it down to where you want it then take out any slack and retrieve it as slow as you can while still feeling resistance on the plug . I love the action on the mag darter and I give it a little twitch every once in a while.

Ok ill give a shot as soon as i can get one. Bit late in the year here but it cant hurt. Thanks

i really like both of these plugs. I recently been using the sp more. I really only fish at night into the sunrise and black and purple sp was producing very good. Last year i was using the mag darter for about an hour and had nothing, i switched to a sp and first cast pulled in a 30 lber. but i do  feel very confident with both plugs. 

both have their place in the scheme of things. Lately for me the XP has been the go to , chicken scratch followed by the "new" purple top and bottom with gold hologram sides. Fish into the low 20's. Got schooled by a friend fishing the mag darter the other night, who knows! Both fished on a Lami GSB 11 foot M. Early spring back bays MAG DARTER all the way. All fishing in the dark. no clue on how they work in the daylight.

Bone sp after dark has been killing it for me.

That said got my hands on 2015 red over gold mag darter and fish were on it right away.

Both have their place and both are fish catchers.

ive had success with both and last spring caught fish to 40# with SP , the only thing i dont like about the mag darter is quite a few of the fish really swallowed that lure and was tough to get out without hurting them

4 mins ago, Matteo78 said:

At night, blue Mack sp minnows

fish up to 30lbs

day time

bronze shiner mag darter 5”

whew thanks for that info! 3.5 years since the thread was created but definitely worth the bump.