Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJTramcar

Whales still around, boaters be careful

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Fished Raritan Bay today and saw a black whale breaching and swimming past us.

Very nice to see except for the chunk out of the dorsal fin. It looks like it came from a propeller recently.

We gave it plenty of room and watched for awhile, very graceful, especially for something so large.

I go to a fishing camp for a few weeks every summer. There was a storm, so I didn't go for a day. I decided to pay a little extra and went offshore. After jigging cod for 4 hours, we decided it was time to go. That's when I spotted the 12 foot blue shark we ended up getting. Released just fine. On the way back, our guide was texting the other captains about the catch. The idiot wasn't watching where we were going, and I only spotted the sunfish (mola mola) when it was only 100 yards ahead of us. I yelled as loud as I could "SUNFIIIIIISH!!!!!" and he looks up from his phone at me with an expression that screams "You ******, Daniel, smh." And then god's wrath sounds under the boat, and the outboards damn near got torn off. So he's just sitting there, again with the expression "Daniel you ******, you could've warned me an hour ago." We look back around and there's a pool of blood spreading across the surface. He says "I think I only scraped it." We turned back around, at there was this HUGE 10 foot mola, one side of it in shreds. It was sad, but hilarious at the same time. He giggles like a Japanese schoolgirl all the way back to the dock. When he tells the director of the camp (who cares nothing more about sustaining stocks, ect...), the guy looks like he was going to have a heart attack. Best camp ever.

I was on a 6-pack this summer and a couple guys that worked as part time mates were swapping stories similar to that. One captain was on auto pilot and not watching and they slammed into a breaching whale. Killed the whale and damaged the pwertrain badly. They needed to be towed back in.

Scary and tragic.

A worth while warning.

JD

It's like driving a car. Watch where you're going, or you're screwed. By friend Eliot, another guide, told me that the day before he took us out, some idiot with a 40 yacht almost hit his 23 foot rig and full speed, they were lucky to move the boat in time. His buddies were enraged, enough so that they were ready to jump on the guys boat and knock his ass out. So, they chased down the guy, and found him making out with his girl in the back. What a nutjob.