Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chinook1981

Pretty Sure I Bought Too Heavy of a Setup... HELP

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I got bored at work last week and thought I'd shop online to pull together a new striper setup (spinning) for throwing metal, bucktails, and plugs from 1 oz to 3 oz. I can't really recall what mind state I was in at that point because I always buy rods and reels in person. :confused:

I ended up with a Tica Sceptor GX model 10000 and a Diawa Emcast 12' MH, rated for 3 oz to 6 oz. The reel weighs 23.5 ounces. They are both really nice, but it appears that I basically bought another bait surf setup. I already have 3 bait surf fishing setups and don't need another. If I threw plugs on this all day I would need a new shoulder.

I'm thinking about returning all of it and hitting up a tackle shop when I make a trip to the beach in a couple weeks... Thoughts and recommendations? I spent about $225 for the combo and that is my budget going forward.

Thanks!

Yup... you did. Return it and do some heavy research. I like posting questions in the main forum and in rod building about various rods and blanks and what throws what best. Your budget matters too. I bought my daughter a 10' Sunami Airwave rated 1-4 I think. I had a Shimano 3500 Baitrunner to put on it. It has been perfect for her throwing similar weights.

You might want to look into the Penn Battle 2 and the Tsunami Airwave 10' nice light rod, I've had one paired with a Penn Conqueror 7000 and it is light enough to cast all day . I would recommend the Conqueror also but you can pick up the battle 2 for about half the price and it looks almost the same , don't know how it handles personally but have heard nothing but good things about it .

I had the battle 2 6000 in my hands the other day. Seems too heavy for throwing lures in my opinion. Tsunami surf rods are for a tight budget. I have  two of the "Trophy" rods, 9ft 1-4oz and a 10ft 3-6oz. I have no problems with either for the type of fishing I do going on 3 years. On my 9ft I have a penn slammer 560 with 30lb braid. My 10ft rod I have a penn spinfisher v also with 30lb braid.

I had the battle 2 6000 in my hands the other day. Seems too heavy for throwing lures in my opinion. Tsunami surf rods are for a tight budget. I have  two of the "Trophy" rods, 9ft 1-4oz and a 10ft 3-6oz. I have no problems with either for the type of fishing I do going on 3 years. On my 9ft I have a penn slammer 560 with 30lb braid. My 10ft rod I have a penn spinfisher v also with 30lb braid.

I was just going to say that the 6000 is basically the same size of the scepter I have. The 5000 sounds more reasonable though. The 5000 holds 250 yards of 40# braid. The next size down is only 13 ounces. Think I'll wait to hold one in my hands.