Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ben Gardner

Which levelwind for the surf

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I prefer conventional and I like levelwind for plugs, eels, bucktails. I have a slew of abus but was wondering if there are other options. Would be tossing 2-6 oz looking for casting and beefy drag. My 6500 blew up on a 30lb last year and the 7000 is ok but was wondering if there were more options. Also i am not a fan of Shimano

Thanks and

Keep fishing

I have a Penn Fathom non-levelwind. Have considered buying the LW version. Perhaps in the spring. The Fathom is very well made and very easy to control. I know the LW does not have the same (or any) breaking system, but that may be fine too with the extra drag of moving the level wind gear. I also use, and am very happy with,Akios 6500 size with mag control. Would recommend (and may also get myself) the 7000 size for what you would be throwing.

If money is no object, the Shimano Calcutta 400 Conquest is magnificent for plugging :love:

The Abu 6500 Mag Elite (with BB levelwind and ceramics) casts farther, but the control on the Shimano is amazing, you have to work really hard to backlash it, even with braid.

The Daiwa Saltist is a good reel for plugs,eels and bucktails.

that reel stinks. hard to get parts, expensive parts and has no mag control or brakes. Has a great gear ratio I will say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Gardner View Post

My 6500 blew up on a 30lb last year

Could you elaborate on what blew up on you?  Was it the IAR bearing?  Many of the 6500 Abus dont have a backup AR Dog.  Just curious.

I added one to my Blue Yonder and it has handled everything I've thrown at it.

The Daiwa Saltist is a good reel for plugs,eels and bucktails.

that reel stinks. hard to get parts, expensive parts and has no mag control or brakes. Has a great gear ratio I will say.

I have quite a few friends who use it in the Canal and have had great success with it. I also beleive it has a spool tension knob which will accomplish about the same thing as true mag control.The OP said he wasn't a fan of Shimano so that was out. Along with the others he had mentioned he used. What would you recommend.

Just did a bit more research and found that Penn still makes the Penn International baitcaster 975 levelwind which I thought they discontinued. I have owned this reel in the past and thought it was a very good reel.

Is it a 2 or 4 slot pinion? Check the pinion drive on the spool. Also if you open up brake plate you will see a main gear and pinion gear see if there is any brass filings. The other thing is if you over tightened the spool tension caps your may have jammed the spindle into the pinion. Either way it's an easy fix. The IAR bearing is machine pressed into the sideplate. I don't think that's damaged.

Thanks tat daddy,

I will get on this winter, I guess I feel the abu's and mind you that's what I have been using don't inspire confidence, they don't have the horsepower, especially if you want to return the fish. I may just use my squidders I just feel thumbing the gets in the way of finessing the lure. Penn really needs to brin the squidder back.

I.

I bought a Akios 757 CSM levelwinds. It is fantastic the mag can metrology is the best I have a we'd. I am getting a non level wind open cage for bailess fishing.

there's little difference between an Akios 656 and an Abu 6500 (Omoto too) nearly all the parts are interchangeable. The akios does have a knobby mag as opposed to a Slidy one for Abu Mag models.You also get the backup AR dog in the Akios. If you get the Shuttle series then you get the 1-piece Aluminum frame.

I wouldn't give up on that 7000. when tuned properly they cast very well. The gears are plenty strong and larger then a 6500.

I think on the Penn Fathom Levelwind you lose the "live spindle" feature, which I know gives the open cage model significant freespool. Can't comment on how that affects casting the levelwind model as I've only used the open cage.

Wish I could help you with the Saltist Levelwind but I only have the open cage model, which I really enjoy casting and fighting fish.

Good luck in your search