Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

Jeep Grand Cherokee vs. Toyota Highlander

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

in the process of buying a used car for myself. Have not done this since 2003. I am driving a 2000 toyota tundra with 170K on it. With two kids (4 and 8) it just is not practical anymore....

Highlander or Grand Cherokee which one would you get?

I am rarely off road - maybe two or three times a year. But, I am absolutely brutal on stuff. I tend to break everything...

All thoughts much appreciated....

I haven't paid any attention to Jeep since they did away with the 4.0 straight six, which was one of the best engines ever to come out of Detroit (I put 275,000 on mine and sold it to someone who wanted a beater beach truck). That was the only thing the GC had going for it. :D

Depends on the model year when looking at Jeep. The grand Cherokee was so so from '05 to '10. The '10 to '13 were rated as the worst vehicles to come out of Detroit.

The new '14 and '15 have very good reviews. The Grand Cherokee is the most awarded SUV on the planet and it has been brought back to world class quality. I am thinking very seriously of maybe leasing a new one.

The Toyotas are always of good quality. If you are buying used go with Toyota.

on a somewhat different note, I cant stand the new front end on the Toyota SUV and trucks.

:th:

I had an '03 highlander, got it with 132,000 and sold it as a beater with 170,000. And I beat that damn thing. Tell you what, for a foreign car it took a ****in beating. Almost rolled the thing coming into a traffic circle doing 50, dry asphalt. Two other dudes in the car. Dukes of Hazzard type ****, ya know.

Front bumper held on with self tappers, rear bumper looking no better and torn leather :D

EDIT: Slaughtered a deer with that thing delivering food late one night. Get yourself a steel front bumper of some sort :read:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ditch Jigger View Post

I haven't paid any attention to Jeep since they did away with the 4.0 straight six, which was one of the best engines ever to come out of Detroit (I put 275,000 on mine and sold it to someone who wanted a beater beach truck). That was the only thing the GC had going for it. biggrin.gif

Bingo.

I've come to realize that buying a vehicle is a crapshoot, no matter who makes it. If I were to choose between the two I would take the Grand Cherokee. Fast, nice interior finishes, comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post

^^^^ Good point

Buy American though.

LulZ . Define 'American' ...

Is it a company named Chrysler owned by Fiat ??

If it's by owner ,, they are both foreign cars..

Or is it where the car is assembled ?? 

If it's by country assembled, they are both American ..