Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bass Ackwards

Thoughts on Rinsing a Field Dressed Deer Down

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

You've killed your deer, removed the entrails where killed and dragged it home. It's now dirty, do you rinse it with the garden house to get rid of the dirt, leaves, and blood? We always do making sure water has no place to pool up. What do you do?

generally I rinse/clean them. clean up for photos. clean off if its cold enough to hang for a few days. clean up if theres some guts on/in the deer. I even rinse them if I take to a butcher. I want the butcher to do a good job so im not walking in with a muddy/bloody/ gut covered deer. if I do that I think the butcher job will be on par with what the initial visit was/is. if a stream/creek nearby i'll use that. I keep lots of water in my truck so i'll use that.

Nick

I shot a big doe 2 weeks ago. I got 1 lung and into the abdomen the arrow went. I gave her about three hours and jumped her while tracking. Went back at sundown and found her in the creek about 150 yards from were I jumped her. The gut jump was quite unpleasant.

When I was done gutting her I submerged her in the creek to get her cleaned out. It got a lot of stuff out but the stench was still there. Took her home and quartered her up immediately. Everything was fine I just didn't touch the tenderloins inside. Normally, I do not rinse them out however.

I vaguely remember reading a long time ago that it was bad to rinse the inner cavity with water, this is why I'm asking. Cool it down as quick as possible but keep it dry. We've been hosing the deer down for over 30 years and haven't had a problem.

Is that what you do or something that shouldn't be done?

I was taught that the most you do is just wipe it down. Not sure why anyone would rinse the cavity anyways. It's not a chicken. The meat is protected by the hide.

Is that what you do or something that shouldn't be done?

Both.

I don't remember the reason, but it made a lot of sense when I heard it.

Most I've ever done is throw a couple hand fulls of coarse salt in the cavity if I nick the guts, then wipe that out when I hang it.

:v:

Never water. If really dirty wipe the inside with vinegar damped rag. The reason for not using water is it can let bacteria breed. Water from a stream, river etc is usually filled with bacteria. A thin coating of vinegar kills bacteria and usually evaporates faster

Rich hit the nail on the head. If you do feel the need to rinse, just make sure you blot it dry...moisture=bacteria growth.

Thanks for the compliment. I guess you could call me a forth generation butcher however I don't do that for a living. I used to cut up between 200-400 deer a year with a few friend. Now only mine, family and close friends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich5294p View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post

Rich hit the nail on the head. If you do feel the need to rinse, just make sure you blot it dry...moisture=bacteria growth.

Thanks for the compliment. I guess you could call me a forth generation butcher however I don't do that for a living. I used to cut up between 200-400 deer a year with a few friend. Now only mine, family and close friends.

I say the same thing.

Never water. If really dirty wipe the inside with vinegar damped rag. The reason for not using water is it can let bacteria breed. Water from a stream, river etc is usually filled with bacteria. A thin coating of vinegar kills bacteria and usually evaporates faster

Never said from a stream or river, specifly said a garden hose. While there may be bacteria in garden hoses, my guess is there is way more bacteria in the cavity of a gutted deer, especially if it was gut shot. I would think that rinsing it down with the garden hose then wiping the inside with a vinegar damped rag would be good.

Never said from a stream or river, specifly said a garden hose. While there may be bacteria in garden hoses, my guess is there is way more bacteria in the cavity of a gutted deer, especially if it was gut shot. I would think that rinsing it down with the garden hose then wiping the inside with a vinegar damped rag would be good.

Doesn't hurt a thing. I do it all the time and I've never had "gamy" or off-flavored venison. I rinse them out VERY thoroughly whenever I have the chance and usually do just as BA suggested; hose 'em down. It's the first thing I try to do when I get them home.