Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Woodpecker

Slide compound miter saw opinions

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Looking to buy a new one. Probably looking at a 12" Dewalt but I have had the Hitachi for a long time and it has a few features I would hate to give up. I will probably keep the Hitachi as a shop saw for rough cutting lengths and the new one will be used almost exclusively for installing  prefinished molding....mostly crown, base and small applied moldings to cabinets. 

Most concern is about soft starts to avoid kicking at start up, visibility of pencil marks at all angles, and micro adjustments for miters. I have not used  Dewalt saws extensively, or recently, and the last one I tried had a difficult time adjusting 1 degree or less as it kept falling back into the detents. The Hitachi has a threaded knob and light detents so it works well that way but it has a lousy fence and is underpowered for thick hardwoods. Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Mark

Ive got the10" dewalt, strong tool, has a cut depth of 14" I believe. The dust collector is so so, i thought hitachis was better, but you mention its not, so, I'll leave it at that. I did get the optional shadow line mark, instead of the red led. Makes a perfect mark of the kerf of the blade. Adjustments are simple, and effective.

I would have bought the 12" saw, but I own a slew of 10" blades, and went that route.

Its fairly lightweight for mobile use, but that tool for the most part stays in the shop.

I have a Bosch and I use it constantly on all types of wood. Definitely the workhorse of my shop.

The 10" is big enough to gang cut at least 6 PT 2x4's,no problem. Laser guides weren't even invented yet, so I can't comment on that.:)

The one limitation that I notice after 12 or 15 years of use is that I wish the angle of the head could swing left or right. I don't know if any saw can do that, but it would be nice.

The dust collection doesn't really work that well, but that is no real factor to me. I could always hook up a shop vac to it.

Thanks for the input...I have a project with lots of octagonal walls so my crown run will end up  near 60 separate pieces, and it is a two piece buildup so.. x2... the larger saws are nice for tall moldings and I will have so many minor angle adjustments at 22 1/2 degrees that cutting flat with compound angles would not be practical. 

I don't expect any of them to have good dust collection. I usually have to recut prefinished stock with the Hitachi...taking a sliver off before hanging to make sure no blade or saw frame flex has caused the cut to be untrue. I will see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Mark

I have 2 dewalt chop saws, both 12 inch. One is a slide the other is a regular chop saw, I've had them for over 12 years now. If this tells you anything, matt

I have a Dewalt 12" Slide Miter saw for many years. I love it. can't go wrong with Dewalt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure Fisherman View Post

It's all about the blade.  Invest in a Forrest or a Freud.

Could start a whole other thread about blades....I have been using a Leitz 50  ATB grind with a a raker for the table saw...best blade out there. It will rip pretty well and crosscut plywood cleanly enough for most jobs.  Matsu****a for the chopper. I had a Forrest and did not like it on the table saw. The thin kerf ones are screamers  and the heavier plate ones just don't seem to cut that well...especially on the rips.