Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HotDom6

Lack of quality surf clams?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Is it just my area, or are the surf clams ridiculously small?  I'm in LBI and picked up a dozen surf clams and they were so small.  After shucking them there is no meat in there. The amount of clam is so little idk even if a bass would hit it lol

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I were discussing the dearth of surf clams and neither of us can remember the last time we saw one.  It has been years for sure...  Of course we have to strain our memories to remember each others names now and then too.

Bought some from around me recently that were small as well. The best are the occasional giant ones that you see washed up on the beach after a good blow. Bigger than I've ever seen in a tackle shop..

I feel like this is year 2 of them being like this. 3 years ago nice big plump clams, last couple these little ones.

Whats worse, is they do not stay on the hook at all. Basicly quit fishing clams for this reason.

Bought 15 dozen a few weeks ago. Had to double up on every hook. Few years ago that wasn't even a thought.

15dozen??!! you must be fishing the classic clambrella rig, or longlining clams?

Usually has to do with the area they were trawled up in inshore/offshore alot of the inshore areas are so over picked itspathetic figure 6ooplus bushels a week from one boat plus waste i did quite a few trips wheni was a kid fact is they are depleting them