Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twilson615

GoPro editing

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I was hoping some of you guys could help me out with some suggestions on gopro editing. I just caved in and bought the camera and want to make a few clips with it but I cant find out any useful information what type of tablet or laptop would suit me best.

What are you guys using?

I'm using adobe premiere elements, and I hate it. It doesn't seem very intuitive to me, and rendering a video is a long, painful process. And I never seem to get the same quality video out of it that I put into it. Let me add that I use Elements and Lightroom for photo editing, and I love them both.

My brother has downloaded a couple different video editing softwares, and has never had the problems I have had with Premiere Elements. I wish I knew exactly which ones he's used, but I don't, sorry.

I'm using adobe premiere elements, and I hate it. It doesn't seem very intuitive to me, and rendering a video is a long, painful process. And I never seem to get the same quality video out of it that I put into it. Let me add that I use Elements and Lightroom for photo editing, and I love them both.

My brother has downloaded a couple different video editing softwares, and has never had the problems I have had with Premiere Elements. I wish I knew exactly which ones he's used, but I don't, sorry.

I've heard a lot about it taking too long to edit. I'm hoping I can start a new hobby to go along with fishing so I don't want slow.

My girlfriends got a MacBook Pro I may use for editing but ideally I'd like a tablet or laptop just for editing programs. I'm saving up a little now, but I don't know where to start. Shooting the footage seems like the easy part.

I've heard a lot about it taking too long to edit. I'm hoping I can start a new hobby to go along with fishing so I don't want slow.

My girlfriends got a MacBook Pro I may use for editing but ideally I'd like a tablet or laptop just for editing programs. I'm saving up a little now, but I don't know where to start. Shooting the footage seems like the easy part.

i agree

Quote:

Shooting the footage seems like the easy part.

sure is :)

i got a hero3+ before vacation ....

and honestly  i'm a total point and shoot person .

the gopro  camera , i'm still trying to figure out ..

been working on editing , and working on 'learning ' the  go pro studio program ......

i've got a 17" laptop and i sure wouldn't want to edit on anything smaller .

also have mac . i really like the mac ,a lot of the reason is the larger screen ...

Been involved with video editing for years. The computer must be very powerful with lots of ram and good processors. High def files are very large 100mb of 1080 is about 40 seconds of video. Think about shooting 45 minutes and you will have about 32 gigs of file. For a computer to handle this it needs lots of power. Editing programs take some time to learn and you need to keep using them to retain how they operate.

cabissi is spot on.

You definitely need processing power and RAM. I'm still on a i5/16gb (does the job), but I need to upgrade.

Last night a 200mb, 90 second video @1080 took me about 18 minutes to render on Premier Pro CS6. :(

For my photography, the PC is fine, but for video..........ughhhhhhhh.

This seems to be getting to be a really expensive hobby, most tablets are crossed off the list automatically I guess. I was hoping to get away with spending around $300 for something just to edit with. I'm not so familiar with the Mac setup, I'm really more comfortable with windows... but maybe I just use the MacPro and get a tablet that she can use too. 

The computer guru David Brooks, whose column I follow closely on Shutterbug, generally recommends a Mac mini (not the server) for photo editing. I imagine that something like that, stuffed with RAM to the max, would be fine. Cameras and camera practice for still images and video are converging. Camera reviews spend as much space on video capability as they do on still images, and this isn't limited to high end DSLRs, it's true for compact system cameras too. I expect we'll all have to become conversant with video ins and outs as time goes on.

I wouldn't edit on a tablet.  Software wise GoPro Studio isn't bad I use it mostly for timelapses.  Right now I'm using iMovie on a iMac desktop. I'm happy with it and its a good introduction to editing with most of the features you'd need. Also, the Mac's are intuitive and not difficult to transition from windows. I'll probably upgrade soon some of the best editing softwares are Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, and Final Cut Pro.  There's plenty of tutorials for these programs which will put you in the right direction.

My girlfriend just ordered me the Asus x205ta-dh01 as a black friday deal. Im going to check it out for go pro and if it doesnt work out im confiscating her MacBook. 

I'm hoping to get a few good videos of some underwater stuff, mostly for my own personal records and maybe make a highlight one of some good rough weather day trips to show friends who like fishing. I got the idea when a buddy of mine got some great footage this summer of us out in the middle of a blitz that was wild to relive... we didnt realize the size of the fish at first until we got a good look at the bass breaking, looked like bass in the 30lb range and that would have been insane to have hooked up with on camera.