Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ASrod

Tying a mono leader to a TA Clip

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by emgred View Post

Palomar is certainly fine. I myself prefer an improved clinch knot when tying mono to a swivel or clip. I use a palomar for braid to swivel.

Could the improved clinch somehow break? The palomar is doubled line on the clip.

Could the improved clinch somehow break? The palomar is doubled line on the clip.

Any knot can break. The knot is always a weak point. As I stated I myself prefer an improved clinch when tying mono. Does not make it better, just my preference.I also said that a Palomar is certainly fine.

Here is a link if you would like more opinions: [palomar-knot-vs-impoved clinch]

I've had better results using a knot that only has the line going through the TA clip once. It seems to fit better in the tip.

My knot of choice is the Uni Knot with 3 or 4 turns depending on mono lb test.

Edit- I should clarify that no line twice through knots have failed, the single line knots just seem to sit in the TA clip better.

I'm certainly not a boy scout when it comes to tying knots, but I love the palomar knot and use it whenever I can. The ease of it just makes it too convenient especially when in the dark, hands frozen, doing a balancing act, etc.

Basically... any time a palomar can be used, I use it. Otherwise it's a uni type or uni combo or Alberto. I don't use swivels. Have not for many years.

I'm going with the clinch. With heavier material, like 50lb, 3-4 turns are plenty. It's a small, neat knot, and like TLap said, it sits on the clip well. My leaders have never failed on me. My braid knot always breaks first.