CurlyTailed Grub or Pork Rind Trailer?

Rate this topic

NightTide

Quote:

Originally Posted by JettyGuy View Post

Sorry for being so thick---what did he do ? He purchased a certain kind of felt and then he cut the felt to be like a forked rind?

The saltwater does not totally mess up the felt? Is it a specially treated product? Or just any old piece of felt?

Live and learn,huh?

DZ also suggests this. I bought a couple sheets (red & white) from the craft store, cut to size and style I wanted, then soaked them in my Gulp container. They hold up fairly well. I just like the flutter of the OT's better.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

DZ also suggests this. I bought a couple sheets (red & white) from the craft store, cut to size and style I wanted, then soaked them in my Gulp container. They hold up fairly well. I just like the flutter of the OT's better.

Don,

Thanks again. I'll experiment with felt---I'll probably end up velcroing myself to a rock.

I'm sure that there are quite a few materials that would be as fluid as felt---interesting challenge.

I did call Captain Bruce regarding Otter Tails.

He has a very small operation. Put it to you this way--he was on vacation and could not fill an order for me.

Still a very smart and nice guy. He said that he would TRY to get me a sample of the Otter tails---but it might take a few weeks.

I was looking to spend about $50 bucks on his product to see if I could sell some for my retail business.

Incidentally, now his products are stored in Jars. I believe that you get eight to a jar and that the price with shipping is close to ten bucks.

His website shows the product being packaged in a plastic bag----that's been changed ,in case anyone reviews his website.

You know I might try the felt if the UJ doesn't improve. The deal with the curly tails VS the pork for me has always been the float the tail gives the bucktail in places like boulder fields. The tail seems to keep it higher off the rocks. In an inlet, or making a long cast in a Northwest Outgoing tide the strip presents less to the wind and sinks quicker.

I've been using a rubber eel tail, like the Berkely (old style no gulp) or the Ronz to swim the inlets instead of the UJ pork rind, of course it only takes one Taylor Blue to end it but in the late summer and early Fall it has been good to me.

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

You know I might try the felt if the UJ doesn't improve. The deal with the curly tails VS the pork for me has always been the float the tail gives the bucktail in places like boulder fields. The tail seems to keep it higher off the rocks. In an inlet, or making a long cast in a Northwest Outgoing tide the strip presents less to the wind and sinks quicker.

I've been using a rubber eel tail, like the Berkely (old style no gulp) or the Ronz to swim the inlets instead of the UJ pork rind, of course it only takes one Taylor Blue to end it but in the late summer and early Fall it has been good to me.

I just got so used to the "life like" characteristics of the buck tail dressed with UJ. I have looked at it and seen how the ORIGINAL UJs FLOW in the water. IF I WERE A FISH --I'd have to explore that!

I know guys do very well with the twisters,but if UJ gets it's act together--it would be my first choice.

With the rubber attractants too me, it seems like the tail doesn't flow as much as it tends to quickly FLUTTER. That quick movement is very deadly,too---but I prefer the slower, more deliberate movement of a rind.

I also wonder---if you are casting a rubber tipped buck tail over rocks for five hours,how long does it take for the twister to get ripped or battered or to lose it's shape or to loosen on the buck tail?

The rinds that I use last for weeks usually--maybe even months.

I know it's about personal preference. Some will say "six of one, a half a dozen of another."

Hey guys what is the best for fishing montauk Bucktail or darter??

I think that you are entitled to an OFF TOPIC answer.

You use lures and plugs depending upon conditions. A yellow darter is famously used plug in MONTAUK----Bucktails are also the major lure thrown in the rocks.

Most guys like to throw darters into a strong current and at night and to medium to high ---not necessarily CRAZY water. Darters are fished fairly shallow compared to buck tails.

People throwing buck tails are throwing into all kinds of water and are especially fond of white water conditions and rips. You can use buck tails night or day.

Bucktails can be used under almost all conditions including big winds in your face. Bucktails can,depending on what kind of attractant and what weighted buck tail you use(size,shape,weight) be made to mimic both large and small bait.

Darters can be made to look like larger bait that is wounded or straying from the school. A yellow darter fished in the rip that crosses in front of the lighthouse has caught a lot of large fish.

Hope this description gives you pause for thought.

But--if you purely want to know what lure is BEST --as far as giving you the most opportunities to entice a fish at Montauk---most would probably say buck tails.

Quote:

That quick movement is very deadly,too---but I prefer the slower, more deliberate movement of a rind.

I just glanced through this thread and did not see anyone mention Zoom split tails.  They undulate similar to a rind, as opposed to the spinning/ flutter like the twister.  They are cheap and come in multitude of colors, or you can color the white with a sharpie to your liking. They work excellent as teasers as well. I put a couple dabs of crazy glue on the bare hook and let that set, this gives the body something to grab, then a dab at the head and tail.  A few times this year this was the only thing they would hit, no luck with fur and leather or wood and a feather, put on flourescent green trailer and teaser.. double headers. Granted they were all schoolies because this season sucked by me, but that's another story.

not to say anyone's post are incorrect or wrong here.

Let me put this out there , In definition : the use of the pork on the buck tail not so much the action or profile during the retrieve but more of the slow rate of fall during the pause due to water resistance .  Does anyone agree ?

If it has fins i want to catch it 

I run a twisty tail 90%of the time, especially fishing the inlets, casts farther and adds some float to the bucktail, I can push a 3 oz to the outside edge of the rip and fish it like a 2 oz, makes all the difference some nights. Same idea in the boulder fields, a 1 oz can be fished like a 3/4, a 3/4 like a 1/2. ;)

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

I run a twisty tail 90%of the time, especially fishing the inlets, casts farther and adds some float to the bucktail, I can push a 3 oz to the outside edge of the rip and fish it like a 2 oz, makes all the difference some nights. Same idea in the boulder fields, a 1 oz can be fished like a 3/4, a 3/4 like a 1/2. ;)

:th:

not to say anyone's post are incorrect or wrong here.

Let me put this out there , In definition : the use of the pork on the buck tail not so much the action or profile during the retrieve but more of the slow rate of fall during the pause due to water resistance .  Does anyone agree ?

I am enjoying this thread immensely, only because everyone is contributing very useful info.

Rubber ain't my thing ,although I do use twisters occasionally -I just personally have done better with pork rind.

But-- I agree that rubber certainly could make a difference in the rate of sinking.

However it's important to note that the rind, I believe, is intended to be an attractant, more so than a stabilizer or a rudder or a weight or an anchor.

UJ must have spent a fortune designing 50 different types of rinds. Fat ones,long ones,short ones,eels,forks and most in a variety of colors and shapes.

So, if I had to hazard a guess--I'd say that they expect you to DRESS your buck tail with an ATTRACTANT--which would be the main purpose of using the rind.

Although, who could argue anyone's point that by adding anything to the end of a buck tail be it a twister,a rubber worm, or a piece of pork that this will have profound effects on casting and the rate of the lures sinking and wind resistance?

I have a friend who only fishes buck tails that have long feathers---he insists that he scalps the fish and he never uses anything other than buck tails designed with long

feathers. He does hammer the fish and he does not use any additional attractant.

But---Head to head I catch as many as he does using the pork rind---go figure???

I am enjoying this thread immensely, only because everyone is contributing very useful info.

Rubber ain't my thing ,although I do use twisters occasionally -I just personally have done better with pork rind.

But-- I agree that rubber certainly could make a difference in the rate of sinking.

However it's important to note that the rind, I believe, is intended to be an attractant, more so than a stabilizer or a rudder or a weight or an anchor.

UJ must have spent a fortune designing 50 different types of rinds. Fat ones,long ones,short ones,eels,forks and most in a variety of colors and shapes.

So, if I had to hazard a guess--I'd say that they expect you to DRESS your buck tail with an ATTRACTANT--which would be the main purpose of using the rind.

Although, who could argue anyone's point that by adding anything to the end of a buck tail be it a twister,a rubber worm, or a piece of pork that this will have profound effects on casting and the rate of the lures sinking and wind resistance?

I have a friend who only fishes buck tails that have long feathers---he insists that he scalps the fish and he never uses anything other than buck tails designed with long

feathers. He does hammer the fish and he does not use any additional attractant.

But---Head to head I catch as many as he does using the pork rind---go figure???

J,

I also have a friend who ties his own bucktails with synthetic hair very long, some as long as 8 inches and doesn't use any trailer at all. I can't catch a thing with them but he also hammers them. But like so much of the fishing game CONFIDENCE has everything to do with success. He's also a damn good plug maker.

Pete