Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
faithless

Whats with all the negativity and frustration? Is anyone happy anymore just fishing?

Rate this topic

91 posts in this topic

Everyone I pass by on the beach fishing is either pissed off or miserable. God forbid you say "hi" the wrong way and set someone off. I think I met 2-3 older guys that just seemed like they were enjoying them selves just simply fishing. There is a lot of negativity around on the beach, in tackle stores and especially on-line. It seems like if you don't catch a fish these days, life sucks. Kill all trash fish, judge others based on irrelevant crap, deliberately mislead people with fake reports, no respect for others fishing around you, no respect for the environment etc ... I mean seriously ***? Some of you guys I run into are like robots. No facial expression, no smile just fishing zombies that can't even do something as simple as nod back anymore. Some of these threads on here are really eye opening to what fishing has become. Everyone is trying to out do each other and only focus on catching these stupid fish at all cost. If that's the case you are really missing out on life in general.

//rant over

There are a lot of people that would trade places with you in a heartbeat to be on the beach with their Kmart combos not catching anything. Think about all the veterans, elderly and disabled that don't have the means to fish anymore or ever. Enjoy it for what it is and don't let the hype / pressure get to you. It's not worth it.

Good point- sign of the times and progression of human nature... Always trying to out do one another.. I usually run into friendly fishermen, but Every now and then u get a c sucker

Its perspecitve, I guess. I always enjoy being out there. Who cares where the keepers are? 24in fish are two feet long. Use lighter tackle and go for what is around. With braid if you get a 20 pounder unless you have no idea how to fight a fish you should get it in?

I support conservation and addressing environmental concerns to create an environment where there are BIG fish to target but I count my blessing for some action.

I have had people come off the beach with scowls, saying no keepers but I do not keep them anyway.

Out of tune with nature is my take. You have to take what she gives you. IDK

Well said! I am happy to be on the beach whether I catch a fish that day or not. Best bet is to not spend to much time on this or any other website. Yes there is a lot of valuable information but just as much nonsense. Bash people for saying "Hi" or asking a "noob" question or what kind of equipment they have is a joke. Most of them I bet are just internet tough guys that wouldn't say anything if confronted in real life.

My 2 cents: The bass fishing is abysmal and the regulators don't appear to be addressing the situation properly.  I think most guys are just frustrated with trying to catch fish that aren't there and it reflects in their attitude.

I think you misinterpret miserable with guarded. A lot of guys have seen a sport that they love taken over by people who have no respect for the fishery or the environment. I don't fish the beach that much, mostly because of time restraints and distance to the beach, but when I do, I see a lot of the ************ that pisses people off; fishing line all over the beach, empty bait containers, dead "trash" fish left on the beach, people keeping undersized fish, people seeing you catch a fish and coming right up your ass and casting over you shoulder, etc....

I don't profess to know a lot about surf fishing, but I hold my own. I am by no means an "old salt", but I respect people that are out there. I have gotten to the point where I respect peoples right to privacy, and peoples reasoning for giving up very little information regarding fishing. There are too many people out there that are just looking to take a shortcut to find fish.

There are lakes by me that get fished ridiculously hard by people who will keep every single fish they keep, legal or not. And then when fishing gets bad on that lake, they'll move on to the next one like locust.

I enjoy being out there, whether it's on a party boat, the beach, a river, or a lake. Catching fish is a bonus, but a bonus I'd like to have, especially with the money I've sunk into this sport. I have one person that I feel the need to pass information onto, and thats my son. Personally, I'd like the fishery to be sustained long enough so that he can some day take his kids and grandkids fishing and have a reasonable shot at catching something.

If I'm out fishing, and someone strikes up a friendly conversation, I will usually talk for a few minutes. But I see no reason to spew every bit of fishing info I've learned over the years.

Two comments. You shouldn't always take a lack of communication as negativity. For me a simple "hi" or "how you doin'" is more than enough. Some guys are working all day, coaching sports, running their kids around...fishing a couple of nights in a row just beats the crap out of them. For some it's relaxing doing what they love and not social hour.

Also, I see more and more bs on the beach these days. Last week i watched from a distance a guy hooking up on a regular basis. A group of big shots walk down and start casting in his exact spot while he unhooks and measures a fish. He comes back down and they don't move. He walks down between them and keeps catching and they don't. Put a smile on my face, but a few minutes later he doesn't want to deal with it and leaves. Sometimes it's hard to be nice with d bags like that around.

Didn't know the binocular sharpies were out in the fall too-- all over the Damm place doin everything but casting
the big bunker seems to be plentiful this November, kind of strange

It is our instant gratification society. I want it and I want it now. Striper fishing had a few boom years and suddenly everyone was a striper fisherman. Now it has become me work and the bandwagon folks are complaining up a storm. I think the fishery is cyclic, I think we are in a down swing. I prefer solitude when fishing and set up my vacations and trips when the crowds are smallest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0k3r View Post

Look what a big cut in netting does to bunker stocks. Who would've known..

Kinda makes you wonder if we would have a similar result if the netters were knocked off of bass.  :huh:

I'm new to striper fishing. Have not caught much, couple shorts, but I'm happy just to be on the beach with my line in the water. Do

i want to catch a record striper? Who doesn't. But getting the skunk beats a good day at work any day. Any time I'm on the beach, is time I'm not thinking about life's BS. I always have a smile on my face, from the time I get there, until the time I leave, no matter what.

I can't speak for everyone and say "Everyone's pissed off" or "Everyone is moaning and whining". I think if you're a surf striper fisherman you can't exactly be happy about a lot of things happening right now. On the other hand, while I was gearing up to go out on the beach the other day, I saw a guy in a wheelchair with a fishing rod, waiting for the people he was with to help him down to the surfline. Yes, I did stop and talk to the guy for a couple minutes, see if he needed anything, and I think he could manage just fine, but afterwards I realized I am lucky enough to be able to do on my own a lot of things that guy wasn't blessed with being able to do. At that point, it did feel pretty silly to complain about how someone says "Hi" on the beach, or judge whether someone took 10 seconds to take a picture of a fish, or some of the other things that I've read here lately. I believe most of us are decent people who appreciate what we have, but taking another minute each day to look on the positive side and enjoying just being out there fishing rather than looking for the negatives would only improve our lives.