Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jraut98

St croix avids

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I'm looking to buy a new st croix spinning rod. I currently have a st croix premeir and want to upgrade a little bit. I live on the Chesapeake bay so the water is brackish do should I get te regular avid or the inshore avid? Also i wa wondering if id be able to use the same rod for largemouth and maybe even perch as well as stripers? I know their a big difference but I heard st croix avids are stiffer rods so could I get away with a medium power rod? The biggest stripers I catch is about 30 inches.

I don't think the brackish water would have any impact as the guides and the rod should more than be able to withstand saltwater. Just wash it off at the end of the trip. If your fishing from shore I guess an Avid Inshore 8' would work but if you want 50'+ distance I'm not sure if you would be able to consistently get that distance.  If you're fishing from a boat the Inshore might be a good option. 

I believe there several methods for fishing for bass (flipping, punching, etc...). I'm not sure if the taper is optimal for largemouth and the rod might be heavier than you like but I think you can make it work with the appropriate rod selection. I have seen all sorts of rods used for perch, it might not be optimal but I think it would work depending on the rod you would select but I would rather have a much lighter rod for perch. You can make it work for Striped Bass as well but depending on where and how you are fishing it might not be the best. Honestly I don't think there is one rod out there that would be able to fit all of your needs though I could be wrong. 

That being said, I'm not too sure where and how your fishing. Your best bet would be to reach out and ask if anyone lives or fishes around you here on the forums or through other channels and see if you can test out their gear and then ask them about it as they would be much more familiar with the exact area and method of fishing. 

Just as a side note my general experience with St Croix rods is mostly with the Legend Elite series and I also have a MH 8'6" Salmon/Steelhead rod which I use as a backup for drift fishing or pier fishing (technically its a freshwater rod but the guides and the blank are more than adequate for saltwater imo). 

Hope this helps a little. 

As long a you maintain your rod and keep it clean, there is no difference between a fresh and saltwater rod. As a general rule, but by no means absolute, inshore rods have a more moderate action than freshwater versions, but the guides are the same.

Choose your rod based upon the line and lure weight ranges you intend to use, then consider action. A faster action rod give you more contact with the lure, a more moderate action gives you a larger range of casting weights and allows you to handle larger fish, but, again, these are generalities.