Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shag

Montauk Surfing Museum

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Really???

Montauk Surf Museum Starts ********* Campaign

The museum hopes to raise $25,000 by Wednesday, Nov. 26.

By Priscila Korb (Patch Staff) Updated November 5, 2014 at 2:28 pm

The Montauk Surf Museum started a ********* campaign in order to raise money for a physical museum out in Montauk.

According to the ********* page, the project requires $25,000 to be pledged by Wednesday, Nov 26. So far, it has raised $3,425.

The funds will go towards completing the ocean blue flooring and the restoration of the building’s doors and windows.

Rewards are offered for certain pledges: those who give $25 or more will receive a limited edition surf pin, those who give $100 or more will get a first edition Montauk Surf Museum notebook, those who pledge $500 or more will receive a Montauk Surf Museum t-shirt and those who pledge $5,000 or more will receive a surf lesson with pro surfer Quincy Davis followed by a lunch at The Ranch.

The mission of the Montauk Surf Museum, formally known as the Oceans Institute of the Montauk Historical Society, is to tell the story of how Montauk came to be one of the foremost surfing destinations on the East Coast, according to the Montauk Surf Museum website.

According to the ********* page, the story will be told within the context of the sport’s Polynesian roots, but will focus on the way in which natural features, weather, and societal change combined to bring the Hawaiian Sport of Kings to a once-isolated fishing village at the eastern end of Long Island.

The science of surfing, which includes coastal dynamics, topics like sea-level rise, as well as our local marine species and ecosystems, will be a natural extension of the existing installations at the adjacent Montauk Lighthouse Museum.

The museum’s location is perhaps its prominent feature. It overlooks three of Montauk’s (and the East Coast’s) best surf breaks. The museum space will include electronic displays that portray the science of waves; how they are generated, and what is it that gives Montauk’s waves their singular attraction.

“We view the Surf Museum/Oceans Institute as a community resource,” the ********* page reads. “Suggestions and contributions are welcome.”

I heard about this a few months back in the East Hampton Star. I would have expected a museum in Malibu or Santa Cruz or Hawaii Didn't Bunger have a sort of museum next to his shop at one point?

I heard about this a few months back in the East Hampton Star. I would have expected a museum in Malibu or Santa Cruz or Hawaii Didn't Bunger have a sort of museum next to his shop at one point?

Yes, Charlie had a museum next to his shop in Babylon. Pretty cool looking at the transition from longboard/short hair, shortboard/longhair, and all the other changes along the way. But really what are we going to have the Tony C. Mutual Admiration Society, bend on surfing in Montauk? With the demise of the East Deck, hipsterizing, and there being more surf camps and surf schools than peak, Montauk is at the end of my list. A beach break with a few close friends it doesn't matter how long or how good it was, it only matters how many smiles were in the lineup that day.

We are losing what it is all about, how about a new phrase: "algorithm free" ?

The phenomenon is about a population coming to age with a little wealth, and they don't want to join the stiffs in East Hampton they want cool. Montauk is cool, surfing is cool.

Thankfully they haven't found everything. Yet

The phenomenon is about a population coming to age with a little wealth, and they don't want to join the stiffs in East Hampton they want cool. Montauk is cool, surfing is cool.

Thankfully they haven't found everything. Yet

Your probably right, and you can't go back. But they will never be as cool as we were slipping past the guard at Air Force Base, or sleeping in a van after a campfire up the bluff road to Fortress. Now everything seems so packaged, not cool.

just me and the seals today......Cool use of the space in the old foghorn building. Maybe they will have a pic of you old guys who used single fins back in the heyday!

Ouch! How you doing Mike?

Morning Pete. How are things by you? Scallops open in Town of EH this AM. Going to snorkel the usual places and dodge the dredges. Small fish on the sand beaches. Still in my 3/2 with booties. Once the gloves go on surfing isn't the same.