Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stan-N5avy

My first surf rod ? - Monmouth County

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I will be off for the next 4 days, planning to go fishing. Don't have a surf rod yet, well, I was planning to purchase one today or tomorrow. I live in Monmouth County near Belmar, can someone direct me where should I go to purchase one. I tried to purchase one from a member from this group, but I don’t have access yet. I decided on St Croix, 3/4 4oz, 10. 5'. any thought, thank you for your comments.

The 10' 6" Mojo - good choice

Can work a pencil and swim a plug equally well.

Call around

Reel Seat in Brielle - (ask for Dave, tell him Sudsy called him a hump :) )

Fisherman Supply in Point, (Ronnie is the man !)

The Den at the Belmar Marina

Mac's in Neptune (although I haven't set foot in there in 20 years)

Dicks

L&H on 35 in Wall

Thank you for the information.

I will be putting Shimano Stradic 8000Fj on the rod. I purchased it last week from Cabala’s. I have been fly-fishing for many years, the surf fishing is new to me.

I don’t have "Korkers" stream fishing, I did not need spikes. Just look at them on Tickle Direct, should I go with boots or straps to wading boots?

Wow, I gust thousand will be short for my new hobby!

Must haves:

Rod n reel

Waders and wader belt or rubber type overalls like you wear on a boat - but then you can't wade out into the surf.

Korkers or other spiked footwear

Plug bag

neck light (with a red beam as well as white is really nice)

Should have:

Rain jacket

Jetty gaff

Everything else is optional

I like the simple approach, if I were helping out a new guy to surf fishing my list would go like this:

Rod n Reel

Waders with a belt.

Plug bag with a black bomber, a white 3/4 oz bucktail, with some twister tails to go with it, an A17 diamond jig, some white storm shads, and 1 metal lip swimmer of your choice.

And go fishing. You will find many many reasons to spend money if you enjoy fishing. Stay off the rocks to start, but always always throw at the rocks, and walk and cast and cast and walk, and you will catch fish without spending a thousand dollars.

And like a friend of mine always says, if you want to catch a lot of fish, fish a lot.

Fish the early mornings, early evenings, and in the darkness, or even in the bright daylight if the fish are there.

How much money you spend from there will depend on how badly the sickness grabs you.

I want to thank everybody for taking ther time and giving me direction to start my new hobby. I went to dicks sporting and pick up St Croix Mojo 10'6" rod. Tomorrow I will give my best to try to ketch somthing, It don't metter to what it is as long that it has fins. It would be nise to catch a striped bass.

Like Ed said, you can stay off the jetties to start. You can catch fishing the sides of jetties casting from shore. I'll often go on a jetty and cast to shore.

Your set-up is great. Load up with braid, be sure to close the bail manually after a cast and make sure teh line is around your spool, not over the drag knob.