Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mpoinelli

First casting reel for a lefty

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So I have decided I want to dive into learning to use a casting reel. I've been reading about them as far as level wind, centrifugal vs mag, etc. I'm thinking I was a level-wind mag brake reel. I need a left handed reel so that greatly cuts down on my choices and not trying to break the bank either incase I completely hate it.

Now I'm not sure if there are diff types you use for bait-fishing vs lures or if they are versatile for all types of fishing or even if rod length plays a role in picking.

so any insight or guidance in that department would be great as well as any recommendations on a good entry level starter reel that won't break the bank?

thanks!

if you want a wide spool I like the shimano Cardiff it comes in left or right,it has no mag but, it is very forgiving if you practice/set it up right.it has centrifugal brakes.

I don't have my brakes on on mine but, you will need to practice it.

it also comes in a small size a 300 series,the wide one is a 400 series.

the bigger one is about 100 bucks.

I have both.

H-H

If your just learning to use a convench/baitcaster you can't gonwring with an Abu. Easy to cast, maintain and you have many options. I'm right handed so I crank with my left hand. I own over a hundred Abu's with left hand crank and they are all great.

+ 1 I think it's the easiest conventional to learn with

It's pretty hard to screw up... and pretty easy to control. And it's well built. I have the right hand and left hand version.

Take your time and develop smooth loading of the rod. Every time I screwed up, it was because I just thought I could get out a little further if I just put more power and less control into the cast. Not so much... :kook:

I am a lefty  and on my spinning reels I crank with my right hand and hold the rod in my left hand . With a conventional reel I still crank with my left hand and hold the casting rod with my right hand . You may just need a regular conventional reel that was designed for right handers............. 

I'm voting with Sy.  My first reels, back in the 1950s, were left-handed open-face spinning reels--odd-numbered France-built Mitchells.  When I began fishing with casting reels about twenty years ago, I purchased a used right-handed Abu 6500 reel and found it very easy to adapt to, casting and cranking the same as a left-handed spinning outfit.  I now have about a dozen conventional casting reels; out of habit they are mostly older Abus.  I can't say they're better reels, but it's comforting to disassemble take an unfamiliar reel and find lots of family resemblance inside.  

I appreciate all the help, the abu's were what I was reading about in older threads too but just wanted to see if anything else had come out since then or taken top rank.

I've tried using spinning reels set up for right handed (handle on left side) and it's a full blown struggle for me. I think if I got a conventional set up like that i'd be turned off very quickly.

That's the reason why most guys give up on conventional reels - too awkward to get used to, not sure why they don't offer more baitcasters with a LH crank, that is all I use. I don't buy the idea that you are supposed to go opposite - when you baseball you bat right but in softball you bat left? How about golfing, you put right handed but when you play mini golf you put left handed? Makes no sense?