Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
troy nyc

Wilderness Systems ATAK

36 posts in this topic

No, there isn't too much similarity to either one. It's much more stable than the ride and very low profile to help with fighting wind and drafts high in the water. I was on the design and testing team and we started out with the idea tournament boat and went from there.  When I tested it I went up a water fall and that would have been a big struggle in my ride. The ATAK went up it like it wasn't there. It's designed for inshore but I'm trying it on the big water as soon as I get one

There's is no motor... yet. It may/will be an option in the future. There are a few videos but that was with a torqeedo on it. It's is set up to accept a power pole

Oh it seems the motor was the big attraction with this yack because they just camee out with the thresher to paddle. I have been waiting since I heard about it to see how the motor fits on here and how different they said it was.

I don't care about motors.

Once kayaks get to the point of needing a trailer and a full sized trolling motor battery, we have reached the point of diminishing returns IMO. You might as well have a 16' aluminum with a 60 HP outboard... more mobile on the water, can fish with a partner, can ditch all the dry suit paraphernalia, etc.

Yes that's exactley what it was. I just did a search and it was suppose to be a light weight motor that would go through the pod. I couldn't wait to se it because the whole thing was light I guess we wii see if the still go through with it

Chad hoover put up a bunch of videos as did wilderness on the facebook page. My thresher has been in storage since I got it so I won't have a comparison until I get to paddle it. I have paddled the ATAK and it was awesome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slacker View Post

I don't care about motors.

Once kayaks get to the point of needing a trailer and a full sized trolling motor battery, we have reached the point of diminishing returns IMO. You might as well have a 16' aluminum with a 60 HP outboard... more mobile on the water, can fish with a partner, can ditch all the dry suit paraphernalia, etc.

exactly.  once it has a motor its a boat not a kayak. 

I am looking at the thresher.Seems well laid out.

That removable electronics pod really seems like it solves a lot of problems. I want to go see one first hand.