Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadwall8

Murdering the truth about school shootings

Rate this topic

202 posts in this topic

One innocent death is too many.... however....

Yesterday a friend sent me a Huff Post piece hand wringing about school shootings, the second sentence claimed that there have been 39 school shootings since Jan, 8 2014 :huh: Then I remembered this little tidbit from fact check http://www. factcheck. org/2014/06/spinning-statistics-on-school-shootings/

Spinning Statistics on School Shootings

Posted on June 25, 2014

Q: Have there been 74 school shootings since the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting in Connecticut?

A: No. The group making this claim uses a broad definition that more than doubles the number of school shootings.

Then, from Gunmag comes this little gem.

'Gun control playbook’ tips being used in WA initiative effort

By Dave Workman | Senior Editor

Gun rights activists who joke about the existence of a “gun control playbook” were stunned recently when they discovered there actually is a strategy guide about waging a political gun control effort, and advice from that pamphlet is being used by backers of a gun control initiative now gathering signatures in Washington State.

The 70-plus page guide, produced last year and apparently posted on-line by Temple Beth-El though a link no longer appears on the TBE website, is titled “Preventing Gun Violence Through Effective Messaging.” It offers advice on everything from using effective rhetoric to dividing National Rifle Association members from NRA leadership.

One of the people who prepared the guide was Al Quinlan, a principle of the Washington, D.C.-based firm of Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (GQR), which also has offices in London and Buenos Aires.

According to the guide, he was part of “a team of communicators” with “decades of experience advising organizations on message development and strategic communications.” Other members of this team were Frank O’Brien, creative director and founder of OMP, another Washington, D.C.-based firm, and Jeff Neffinger and Matthew Kohut at KNP Communications, also headquartered in Washington, D.C.

A Public Disclosure Commission report filed by the Seattle-based Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility (WAGR) shows a May expense of $43,700 paid to GCR for opinion research.

TGM attempted to contact Quinlan, who was traveling and leaving on vacation with his family, according to an aide. The others did not immediately respond.

Among GQR’s clients are the Mayors Against Illegal Guns, the Joyce Foundation, several state education associations, Defenders of Wildlife, National Public Radio and the Sierra Club. Among OMP’s clients are Planned Parenthood of America and the Natural Resources Defense Council.....

full article at http://www. thegunmag. com/gun-control-playbook-tips-being-used-in-wa-initiative-effort/ including links to copies of the playbook

Beware propaganda and tugging at heartstrings. Be a responsible parent and if you choose, a gun owner. Don't hold law abiding citizens liable for actions of the disturbed and criminals. If you want to debate The Constitution and our nation's gun laws, let's agree the truth matters.

:v:

There was an article I saw a while back that described a lot of these "school shootings" statistics were complete bunk. A drug deal at 2am in a school parking lot. Gang activity not during school hours. Someone commits suicide outside a school. All lumped in as "school shootings" by this group.

Don't forget, this is the same cabal that listed the Boston Marathon bomber as a victim of gun violence. I'd bet they have Michael Brown in those same stats.

Edit: This is the article I remember. From CNN no less:

A closer look: How many Newtown-like school shootings since Sandy Hook?

By Ashley Fantz, Lindsey Knight and Kevin Wang, CNN

June 19, 2014 -- Updated 1603 GMT (0003 HKT)

Source: CNN

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

CNN examined Everytown for Gun Safety's list of school shootings

Everytown says 74 school shootings have occurred; CNN found 15 similar to Oregon shooting

(CNN) -- After Tuesday's shooting at an Oregon high school, many media outlets, including CNN, reported that there have been 74 school shootings in the past 18 months.

That's the time period since the December 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, where 20 children and six adults were shot to death.

The statistic came from a group called Everytown for Gun Safety, an umbrella group started by former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a passionate and public advocate of gun control.

Without a doubt, that number is startling.

Photos: Shooting at Oregon high school Photos: Shooting at Oregon high school

So on Wednesday, CNN took a closer look at the list, delving into the circumstances of each incident Everytown included.

Everytown says on its web site that it gleans its information from media reports and that its list includes school shootings involving a firearm discharged inside or on school grounds, including assaults, homicides, suicides and accidental shootings.

CNN determined that 15 of the incidents Everytown included were situations similar to the violence in Newtown or Oregon -- a minor or adult actively shooting inside or near a school. That works out to about one such shooting every five weeks, a startling figure in its own right.

Some of the other incidents on Everytown's list included personal arguments, accidents and alleged gang activities and drug deals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadwall8 View Post

Don't hold law abiding citizens liable for actions of the disturbed and criminals. 

a big problem for me and one "you guys" never seem to address is that law abiding citizens are often disturbed,

and when they snap and kill people with their guns, they become criminals.

so a good number of those you demand be held harmless will eventually be the deranged killers you say should be blamed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkrock View Post

. A drug deal at 2am in a school parking lot. Gang activity not during school hours. Someone commits suicide outside a school. All lumped in as "school shootings" by this group.

what about the mom that was shot in the arm this week when she was picking up her kid after school,

do we count it or no?

what about the mom that was shot in the arm this week when she was picking up her kid after school,

do we count it or no?

Count it however you want. I think adding it into a stat used to describe events that evoke images of Columbine or Sandy Hook is misleading, which is exactly the intent of the Bloomberg group.

Quote:

Count it however you want. I think when added into a stat used to describe events that evoke images of Columbine or Sandy Hook is misleading, which is exactly the intent of the Bloomberg group.

I guess it depends on how it's presented.

The Mom WAS ( I believe) on school grounds to pick up her child when a fight between teens broke out and she was shot.

while it may not be exactly Columbine or Sandy Hook I think it's pretty damn close.

One side is wrong if they try to pump the numbers up.

the other side is wrong if they try to minimize the problems of drug deals with shootings on a school ground.

we need solutions,

not talking points.

The story I read about this incident was that she was walking to a school and there were a group of teens on a sidewalk outside another school having an altercation. I'm not sure any of it occurred on school grounds. Regardless, this is exactly the type of thing the Bloomberg group will put in their stats.

Quote:

The story I read about this incident was that she was walking to a school and there were a group of teens on a sidewalk outside another school having an altercation. I'm not sure any of it occurred on school grounds. Regardless, this is exactly the type of thing the Bloomberg group will put in their stats.

so if they were students and it happened on school grounds,

why would it NOT count?

this is kinda my point though,

instead of splitting hairs as to when a shooting on school grounds should be counted as a school shooting,

shouldn't we just deal with it?  and try to address a the problem?

a big problem for me and one "you guys" never seem to address is that law abiding citizens are often disturbed,

and when they snap and kill people with their guns, they become criminals.

so a good an infinitesimally small number of those you demand be held harmless will eventually be the deranged killers you say should be blamed.

so if they were students and it happened on school grounds,

why would it NOT count?

this is kinda my point though,

instead of splitting hairs as to when a shooting on school grounds should be counted as a school shooting,

shouldn't we just deal with it?  and try to address a the problem?

Sure. What problem do you want to address?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slacker View Post

I don't like debating stuff honestly

but give it a try

how many murders are committed in the US every year, by people who would have been deemed law abiding gun owners before they committed the murder?

but give it a try

how many murders are committed in the US every year, by people who would have been deemed law abiding gun owners before they committed the murder?

I think I added honesty to your post. I also left your original words which was more honest than your follow-up action.