Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JerseySurf

Dry or wet?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

With more people getting into distance rods and reels, I have to wonder if this will slow down or start to chip away at Van staal and Zee baas sales. Why spend the cabbage on a VS/ZB when you could get a distance rig for less and get to the same spot as a VS/ZB? I know a VS/ZB will last for ever, but IMO, I think they are overkill for fishing Jersey Beaches. 


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inexpensive surf reels can crap out at the snap of your fingers. Reliabilty is what draws people to buy VS's. Even expensive distance surf reels wouldn't survive for too long, even if just on the beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oftentimes the areas that people are wetsuiting are very rocky. Increasing your casting distance isnt going to help you there, your plug/bait is going to be caught up in the rocks on the retrieve, or a fish is going to get you wrapped up. The only thing you can do in that case is get yourself beyond the rocks. hence sealed reel and wetsuit. 


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teek answered this perfectly. Wetsuits are not for beach/ soft structure fishing...

Long cast reels will have zero effect on vs sales, except maybe guys that never needed the features they offer will finally buy something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's true that inexpensive surf reels won't survive to long, but there are plenty of inexpensive Penn's out there that have survived over the years. I have read that the VS'S and ZB'S have to be serviced yearly, especially the ZB to keep the warranty. How much does it cost to service those reels?


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teek View Post

 

Oftentimes the areas that people are wetsuiting are very rocky. Increasing your casting distance isnt going to help you there, your plug/bait is going to be caught up in the rocks on the retrieve, or a fish is going to get you wrapped up. The only thing you can do in that case is get yourself beyond the rocks. hence sealed reel and wetsuit. 





If I was on the rocks up north or wet suiting, then yes, I would have a sealed reel. I am saying that those kind of reels are not needed for open beach fishing. 


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is like debating buying a pick up truck vs. a mercedes sedan.

 

Just because they are are both vehicles doesnt mean they have the same intended purpose...

 

yet some people still buy big trucks just to look tough even though they dont need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseySurf View Post

 

If I was on the rocks up north or wet suiting, then yes, I would have a sealed reel. I am saying that those kind of reels are not needed for open beach fishing. 





Oh absolutely, I meant more along the lines of long cast reels not really cutting into VS/ZB sales because they are really meant to service different markets.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseySurf View Post

 

It's true that inexpensive surf reels won't survive to long, but there are plenty of inexpensive Penn's out there that have survived over the years. I have read that the VS'S and ZB'S have to be serviced yearly, especially the ZB to keep the warranty. How much does it cost to service those reels?





I believe they're about 100 or so dollars to send to VS or ZB to have them serviced, and kits good for 3 services cost about the same.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.