Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JerseySurf

Dry or wet?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

With more people getting into distance rods and reels, I have to wonder if this will slow down or start to chip away at Van staal and Zee baas sales. Why spend the cabbage on a VS/ZB when you could get a distance rig for less and get to the same spot as a VS/ZB? I know a VS/ZB will last for ever, but IMO, I think they are overkill for fishing Jersey Beaches. 

Inexpensive surf reels can crap out at the snap of your fingers. Reliabilty is what draws people to buy VS's. Even expensive distance surf reels wouldn't survive for too long, even if just on the beach.

Oftentimes the areas that people are wetsuiting are very rocky. Increasing your casting distance isnt going to help you there, your plug/bait is going to be caught up in the rocks on the retrieve, or a fish is going to get you wrapped up. The only thing you can do in that case is get yourself beyond the rocks. hence sealed reel and wetsuit. 

Teek answered this perfectly. Wetsuits are not for beach/ soft structure fishing...

Long cast reels will have zero effect on vs sales, except maybe guys that never needed the features they offer will finally buy something else.

It's true that inexpensive surf reels won't survive to long, but there are plenty of inexpensive Penn's out there that have survived over the years. I have read that the VS'S and ZB'S have to be serviced yearly, especially the ZB to keep the warranty. How much does it cost to service those reels?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teek View Post

Oftentimes the areas that people are wetsuiting are very rocky. Increasing your casting distance isnt going to help you there, your plug/bait is going to be caught up in the rocks on the retrieve, or a fish is going to get you wrapped up. The only thing you can do in that case is get yourself beyond the rocks. hence sealed reel and wetsuit. 

If I was on the rocks up north or wet suiting, then yes, I would have a sealed reel. I am saying that those kind of reels are not needed for open beach fishing. 

this is like debating buying a pick up truck vs. a mercedes sedan.

Just because they are are both vehicles doesnt mean they have the same intended purpose...

yet some people still buy big trucks just to look tough even though they dont need it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseySurf View Post

If I was on the rocks up north or wet suiting, then yes, I would have a sealed reel. I am saying that those kind of reels are not needed for open beach fishing. 

Oh absolutely, I meant more along the lines of long cast reels not really cutting into VS/ZB sales because they are really meant to service different markets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseySurf View Post

It's true that inexpensive surf reels won't survive to long, but there are plenty of inexpensive Penn's out there that have survived over the years. I have read that the VS'S and ZB'S have to be serviced yearly, especially the ZB to keep the warranty. How much does it cost to service those reels?

I believe they're about 100 or so dollars to send to VS or ZB to have them serviced, and kits good for 3 services cost about the same.