Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishermanTim

what kind of gear???

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

It just sounds funny that people are willing to shell out so much money for high priced gear with the hopes of catching the "fish of a lifetime", assuming that the more you spend, the bigger your catches will be.

Now I understand that some gear is expensive because of the fish they are gear for (i.e...tuna, sharks, marlin), but many seem to be willing to spend more than they should just because of the name or who recommended it.

My gear is inexpensive but very reliable. The last surf rod I broke was a 3 day old Penn Pursuit that failed due to crappy manufacturing. It was replaced with a Shakespeare Ugly Stick that I still use to this day!

I hate sounding "high and mighty", but why do some feel the need to pay so much for some gear when they could be just as successful with a lowly brand that puts money in they pockets and fish in the cooler?

I think part of it is the type of fishing the person does. If you're going to be dunking your reel you need something sealed. Sealed = wicked expensive.

I buy solid middle of the road stuff. I use artificials almost exclusively so spend a lot of time casting and working the lure so something lightweight but with enough backbone to do the job is worth paying for (for me).

The type of fishing I do my gear gets destroyed. I wonder sometimes if I should buy the best gear I can so its more durable or get the cheapest I can so its more replaceable… tough one.

It is 2:45AM and I am getting ready to go hit the beach for the dawn patrol. I will be using my Penn Torque 5 and my St Croix Legend. I think these fit into what you call "high priced gear".

Why do I use them? Simple answer. Not for the fish of a lifetime but because the rod outcasts any other rod I"ve fished with before and the reel is sealed and if I get hit with waves, which I do a lot, I don't have to worry about sand getting into my reel.

Bottom line, quality equipment makes me reach more fish, over the bars here in NJ, and not worry about having to strip down a reel cause of muck.

If I'm fishing harsh conditions I want gear that won't fail - ill use my VS and know it will not let me down, it's worth every dollar I spent on it, if others like to fish cheaper gear I don't look down on them but I think it's silly trying to go cheap since big fish don't come around often. This isn't absport where you can cut corners. One should know the difference between good equipment(even if it's older) and truly cheap stuff.

High modulus graphite rods used with braid allow you to feel the action of the plug. You can feel if you're on the front side or the back side of a wave and therefore know whether you need to speed up or slow down your retrieve. You can feel any structure you bump or subtle takes. Your Ugly Stik won't give you that kind of sensitivity. Old-school Penn reels may be pretty tough, but I've broken components and bent shafts. You also need to take them apart and clean and regrease them after dunking. VS and Zeebaas eliminate thes problems. Yes, many cheaper pieces of equipment will work okay, some pretty decently, but we're not under the impression that spending more will buy fish. Only experience (occasionally luck) will give you that outcome. Experience also shows you that quality equipment can help you to hook up and land large fish, and can be more reliable.

It more of how a person fishes, if a person fishes just about every day of the week they want something that is comfortable and confidents using it. Its Not just about price. But for a guy that fishes a few weekends a year that is just a waste of money. Some people just want the best and the latest technology out just like phones.

I still don't understand why other people care what I or anybody else uses! There are many reasons why people use what they do - dependability, functionality, affordability, status symbol, whatever...this topic has been beat to death already.

This is what I wanted to hear.

These replies show that some people have done serious research and bought gear for the conditions they expected to encounter instead of just buying a name because angler XXX says he/she thinks it's the best.

An informed comsumer is armed with the right ammunition to make the right choices.

I still don't understand why other people care what I or anybody else uses! There are many reasons why people use what they do - dependability, functionality, affordability, status symbol, whatever...this topic has been beat to death already.

Ya think?!!! :laugh:

Seriously, you can make this argument with almost any product. Anyone think a 2 million $ Porsche makes Paris Hilton a better driver, gets her there faster, or is it imperveous to breakage? Who really needs half the expensive stuff they buy? Certainly one can argue the point of diminishing returns, but even that is extremely objective due to any number of variables.

More to your point though....

Simple... I could afford it. LOL.

Forgot! I climb onto rocks to fish and shower in waves of salt water. Skip rocks and go under water too.

Not too many reels stuck around besides VS. 4 years and counting with minimum maintenance.

For certain applications, I would rather buy something once and not have to keep replacing parts or deal with the hassle of stuff breaking. Cheap brass and aluminum gears don't last.

For other applications, I need higher quality stuff to take the abuse. Offshore fishing for example.

Others just like nice stuff and can afford it. I personally can't stand ugly sticks; they have no sensitivity. I would much rather spend another $100 and get something with a better feel. You don't "need" nice stuff to catch fish but it helps to a degree. 

Others just buy into marketing gimmicks because they have low self esteem and feel the need to have the best of everything because they think that people will be impressed :kook:. These people need help.