Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
obxnut

1 rod for bucktails and 1 for tin.

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I am in the market for a couple of new rods. I need one for throw bucktails in the 3/4 to 2 oz range and another for tins in the 1.5 to 3 oz range. I am considering either a century ss1025 or ss1145 for the bucktails. For the tins I was thinking maybe a St Croix Avid, either the 9.5' 2-6oz or 10' 1-4oz. or maybe a Mojo 10'6" 2-6oz.

I currently own a 10'6" 3/4-4 Mojo spinning and a 10' 1-4 Legend casting. Any advise would be appreciated.

I have been using what I have. The Mojo does a pretty good job, but I would prefer a shorter rod with a little more backbone. I was originally thinking of a 9' Mojo, but maybe there is something better. The legend I love, I use it mostly for swim shads and bottle plugs. It is a casting rod with a Daiwa Luna 300. This reel only retrieves 23" of line per crank. For throwing tin I would like a faster retrieve. Maybe this answer is a 9' 1-4oz legend spinning. Or perhaps a 9' Mojo for bucktails and a 10' Avid for tin. I know I already have a stupid amount of rods, but we drive the beach here, so transport is not a problem. I am not looking for a do-it-all rod, but a couple of "does one thing great"rods. Thanks for your help.

racepoint,

thanks for the reply. how does the avid do at the lower end of the rating? I like a faster action rod for metals, that why I am considering this rod. I most throw between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 oz tin, but I will occasionally throw 3/4 oz. My mojo can do this, but the action is slower than I would like.