Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Batman67

Mono or Fluorocarbon Leaders?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Which do you guys use, what pound test and what knots are you using? I have always used clinch knot on mono(20,40lb.) And Palomar knot for  fluorocarbon and braid.

But it seems like on heavy fluorocarbon(60lb), it would/could be very difficult to tie a palomar knot? But I wanted to use fluorocarbon leaders being that stripers hit from the front, they can't see the line.

Please any/all input!!!!

I use 50 lb floro on the open beach, 60 in the inlet and in Montauk on the rocks, 20in the back bays. IMPROVED clinch on the 20 and regular clinch on the others, considering the $$$ spent on rods, reels and lures a couple more $ on floro works IMHO:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakalolo View Post

I use 50 lb floro on the open beach, 60 in the inlet and in Montauk on the rocks, 20in the back bays. IMPROVED clinch on the 20 and regular clinch on the others, considering the $$$ spent on rods, reels and lures a couple more $ on floro works IMHO:D

Thank you, it's like you read my mind, lol. Even wear I fish sometimes.!! I was afraid to tie clinch on floro 60lb, didn't want to donate lures/plugs to the sea! But now I will try, 6 turns on 60lb test?

I see guys with thousand dollar setup's using mono? I don't get it, I figure for a few more bucks they don't see my line. Since it's all about presentation with lures..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman67 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytheteacher View Post

For over fifty years I always use mono. I had great results with red mono. 

Red? I have never seen that..

There are a couple of companies that manufacture red monofilament  in all different line strengths. When you look at colored object you see the color that bounces back at you the rest of the colored light spectrum is absorbed by the object. BUT the color red under water doesn't bounce back so it looks invisible, all the other color under water has the ability to bounce back or off the object being able to see the color, see the object or the fishing line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I also filled my a couple of reel with the red mono and find it very productive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sytheteacher View Post

There are a couple of companies that manufacture red monofilament  in all different line strengths. When you look at colored object you see the color that bounces back at you the rest of the color spectrum is absorbed by the object. BUT the color red under water doesn't bounce back so it looks invisible, all the other color under water has the ability to bounce back or off the object being able to see the color, see the object or the fishing line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

What a great response! Thank you, you are the teacher..

I always use mono and have had no problems I find its harder to snap because it stretches but with fluoro it wont stretch and snaps easyer as for the fish seeing it i dont think you will have any problems. I use either a 2 way swivel or an alberto knot to tie to my braid and a palomar knot to my lure or tactical angler clip. As for the pound test I would go with 40,50 or 60 for striper depending on the area. Good Luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightTide View Post

I always use mono and have had no problems I find its harder to snap because it stretches but with fluoro it wont stretch and snaps easyer as for the fish seeing it i dont think you will have any problems. I use either a 2 way swivel or an alberto knot to tie to my braid and a palomar knot to my lure of tactical angler clip. As for the pound test I would go with 40,50 or 60 for striper depending on the area. Good Luck

Thank You.. Question, your using a palomar knot on 40,50 or 60lb test? How do you tie it? Pliers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightTide View Post

If you fish around rock I would go with the 60 but on a sand beach you could go down to 30 and on a very calm day 20.

Thank you, sir..

was turned onto jin-ki mono years ago and have never looked back 50 lb and I use it for everything. super soft and really strong.250 yard spool since 2010 and still plenty left.

was turned onto jin-ki mono years ago and have never looked back 50 lb and I use it for everything. super soft and really strong.250 yard spool since 2010 and still plenty left.

Yep, Me too. I use 40lb test Jinkai mono on one of my chunking reels and 80lb test Jinkai leader material to my hook. We used that stuff for tuna fishing and had good success. I figured that tuna are very line shy so I figured it would work with bass as well. I caught a 31+ pounder a week ago on the stuff.

Pete

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio1fx View Post

I will have to check that out, thanks..