Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John O'

Pizza dough

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Bought some pizza dough (not frozen) at Stop and Shop, I know I'm supposed to make it from scratch, but I didn't. :kook:

Sooo, do I have to let it sit out for a while before I form it? It's in the fridge at home now, I'm at work and hoping to make pizza tonight, thoughts?

Doughs can be a bit different and haven't used S/S but I almost refigerate home made dough overnight. Leave it out for 15-20 minutes before use. If it's easy to stretch and doesn't try to shrink back go for it. If it doesn't stretch reasonably easily give it another 15-20 minutes or maybe a little more until it does. No point fighting with the stuff and it doesn't really need much time to rise, should have enough oven spring.

Some 35 years ago when I worked in a pizza place in NJ (where they know how to make GOOD pizza, John...:p;)), we used to make the dough the day before. I made huge batches of it in a big mixer, and then we would portion it out into special steel "bowls" for the size needed for one pizza (they were about 18" round). It would get folded and shaped into a ball, put in the oiled bowls, and allowed to sit in a fridge overnight for the next day's pizzas.

The next day, they/we would take out the bowls over the course of the day as the rate of business demanded, and let it sit at room temp for 20 or more minutes, again as the rate of business demanded, before the guy would use it to hand stretch it out (No rolling pins in THIS shop.....) to the classic thin crust. sometimes if we were slow, they would sit out longer, other times when we were busy, maybe 15 minutes.

So as to your question, 15 minutes or so, as Jim said, should do ya. It is basically a question of "stretchablity" and how much it will shrink back on you.....too cold, and it will tend to shrink back, too warm, and it becomes harder to work with.

The grocery store stuff is a different animal than pizza shop dough. It's wetter and denser, more cement-like in color. I can't recollect how it cam e out or what I did to it unfortunately. I only bought it once and then started buying dough at the pizza place.

I've bought it in the past out of convenience...especially since you're going to the grocery store to buy the ingredients to put on your pizza anyway. The times i've bought it i've used it to make stuffed pizzas and strombolis as you get a spongier consistency when done. Any leftover cooked meats can get rolled into the store bought dough...something different in a pinch.

I've been making Prefessa's dough every week for about 5 month's now. It's needs to sit in the fridge for 2 days, but is good up to 5. I like to whip up a couple of pies worth and portion out and stash in the fridge for a quick, easy weeknight dinner whenever the mood strikes that week. Stuff is amazingly good and the best dough I've ever worked with. I like to get it to room temp before stretching, maybe 1/2 hour.

I've been making Prefessa's dough every week for about 5 month's now. It's needs to sit in the fridge for 2 days, but is good up to 5. I like to whip up a couple of pies worth and portion out and stash in the fridge for a quick, easy weeknight dinner whenever the mood strikes that week. Stuff is amazingly good and the best dough I've ever worked with. I like to get it to room temp before stretching, maybe 1/2 hour.

Is the recipe available?

It's my inability to make a consistently good dough that caused me to give up making my own pizza. One batch is excellent, the next :upck: stinks.

I finally threw in the towel. For me at least, pizza will remain one of those foods I'll just have to buy out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasebrady View Post

Is that up in recipe land?

John the easiest way to make pizza dough is the no knead.  Take some warm water, honey and yeast and put it in a bowl for 10 minutes.  Then add salt, glug of olive oil and enough flour to make a wet dough ball.  Put olive oil on the outside of the dough.  Cover with a kitchen towel and put in a warm spot for 18-24 hours.  Done.

I do it the night before, I go to work and when I come home I have pizza dough.

Please check your pm.

Could you post Prefessa's pizza dough recipe that you use? Thx

Guys - I did a search, and i am not sure Prefessa ever actually posted a recipe I just found a lot of posts give tips and bits.

Click here to review the search I did using his name and "pizza" as keywords:

http://www.stripersonline.com/newsearch?advanced=1&action=disp&search=Pizza&titleonly=0&byuser=Prefessa&output=posts&containingforum%5B%5D=178&replycompare=gt&numupdates=&sdate=0&newer=1&sort=lastupdate&order=descending&Search=SEARCH&Search=SEARCH