Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

How do BM needles compare to Dmags?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I know many of us have a special place in our heart for Dmag needles for many reasons, including but not limited to: the builder / artist a a local and BSC member, they are well balanced, cast very well, ride nicely in the water column, have a great narrow profile / taper, are beautiful, they catch!

That being said, Beach Master also builds nice wooden plugs that are day in day out workhorses and catch. They're new small 1 3/4 oz needle also seems to be a good size, weight, profile and taper. I've yet to hold or fish one of these.

Other than a slight weight difference (Dmag = 2oz, BM = 1 3/4oz) they're roughly the same size. How do the BM's cast, ride in the water and most importantly catch as compared to our beloved Dmag needles?

Any input, opinions, experiences with the BM small needles?

Thanks!

JD

Are you using the 2 2/1 or the 1 3/4 oz? I like and have done well on the SS as well as the DMags. I believe that wood is a little livelier and has more buoyancy than plastic and prefer it in calmer conditions and shallower water, just my non-expert opinion. It's good to know that you like the BMs cause DMags are tough to get and bring a premium from re-sellers.

Thanks for the reply Drew.

JD

A little bit of a different profile when you compare the two in question right off the bat as you can see in the picture below , I think you might be able to get a better comparison say if and when we here in Jersey get a Sandeel bite this month as the BM are fairly new to the scene..

SteveG