Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nedakjohn

7wt reel recommendation/vote

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Sierra Trading has Lamson Konic 2 for ~100 or Sabelos from Wright McGill for ~140.  I have a Lamson and they have been great on Customer Service, but that is the issue, why do I need customer service?

Comments recommendations welcome.

This thread restarted my interest in buying a 7wt.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/902020/sabalos-fly-reel#post_11724333

Thanks

Nautilus FWX 7/8 is worth a close look; lightweight, generous backing capacity, smooth and sealed drag, reliable, inexpensive.

Extremely light.... need to make sure it balances with your rod, though a great reel for sure.

Seems like Lamson has been coming out with replacement models every 6 months.. doesn't do much good for you resale if you need or want to.

You need to supply a bit more information, before someone can make a choice.

If your quarry is Schoolie Bass and Cocktail Blues, you could buy an 8 wt. Pfleuger and get lots of change.

For a single-action reel, with a smooth drag syatem, a Billy Pate Bonefish reel is a work of art.

There is a big difference in price between the two. It all comes down to your application!

Nautilus FWX 7/8 is worth a close look; lightweight, generous backing capacity, smooth and sealed drag, reliable, inexpensive.

Completely exposed a/r clutch is a liability with the fwx. I wouldn't dare go on a trip without at least 1 spare clutch. Galvan has the best track record of all the sealed reels I have experience with. The tibor backcountry is another option, not sealed, but very reliable. I use Abel supers and waterworks ULA force sl reels for light inshore stuff, my newest reel is going on it's 3rd year with over 200 days on the water and I haven't had to send it in for service yet.

I have an FWX 7/8 and really like it but it has never been dunked. I have never had an issue with the reel but I trust Local's evaluation of tackle. My tackle doesn't typically get dunked so I won't worry about it.

How much do the a/r clutches for the FWX 7/8 cost?

I have an FWX 7/8 and really like it but it has never been dunked. I have never had an issue with the reel but I trust Local's evaluation of tackle. My tackle doesn't typically get dunked so I won't worry about it.

How much do the a/r clutches for the FWX 7/8 cost?

If you ask really nice they'll usually ship you one at no charge. Nautilus is a pretty great company.

I have an Orvis Access Mid Arbor IV on an Orvis Hydros 7wt rod. I use it on the beaches in SW Fla. I give it a good rinse after each use in salt and not had any issues at all with the reel. I believe I have had the set up for 4 years now.  The reel is very reasonably priced, I have other rods/reels that cost much more but I think for the money the Access is a quality reel. IMHO.

I've fished an old Orvis DXR 7/8 for 15 years and it still works like a charm - not light, but not overly heavy and if you take care of it (rinse after each use) it'll last forever.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but you can pick one up on Fleabay pretty cheap and well as spare spools.

My 2 cents