Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Whopper Bubba

Oregon passes legal pot, child dies from pot head driver

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

let us know when it comes close to the number killed by drunk drivers......

Alcohol is LEGAL 

driving while under the influence is not.

I don't smoke pot,

but I think it's fair to hold pot smokers to the same standard as drinkers........

or is this the FIRST fatality ever in Oregon traceable to a driver under the influence of pot?

Thank God something like that has never happened with Alcohol.....

or Xanax

or Zoloft

or Ambien

or Paxil

or OxyContin

or Prozac

or Ritalin

or Codeine

or Vicodin

or Valium

Driving while stoned is my major concern about pot. (Although children OD'ing on edible food infused with pot is a growing concern.)

There used to be a twit stoner in the Tavern, from my town, who claimed that driving while stoned was 'OK', because stoners rarely speed. Problem is, stoned drivers also have a very slow reaction reflex, ergo they are a real danger when a quick reaction is needed. I'll be very glad when the police have a breathalyzer to measure THC, for DUI stoners.

$20 says this guy was lit up on a lot more than weed.

Even if it was just herb, he should be treated just like it was an alcohol DUI.

Which I know you agree with, just making a statement. :)

I'm anti drug, in general,

but you should use SOME logic when formulating an argument against legalization.

States rights. Anyway there are 20+MM people addicted to Rx drugs in the US.

So how DO they know he was under the influence? Or was he smoking in the car at the time of the accident?

That's actually one of the big problems with marijuana legalization, as I understand it.

The actual THC in the blood decays quickly, while the lingering breakdown products persist for a long time afterward. Too long, indeed, to draw any real conclusions about the impairment of the driver. So actually catching someone who was "driving while high" is going to be an exercise in frustration, but by no means does it reduce the risk for those who are on the roads with them.

That's actually one of the big problems with marijuana legalization, as I understand it.

The actual THC in the blood decays quickly, while the lingering breakdown products persist for a long time afterward. Too long, indeed, to draw any real conclusions about the impairment of the driver. So actually catching someone who was "driving while high" is going to be an exercise in frustration, but by no means does it reduce the risk for those who are on the roads with them.

really no different than all other drugs and legal prescription drugs though no?

really no different than all other drugs and legal prescription drugs though no?

Every drug has unique mechanisms for breaking down and leaving the body. I've gotten the impression that THC is worse in that regard than many other drugs, but I can't cite anything directly at the moment.

Every drug has unique mechanisms for breaking down and leaving the body. I've gotten the impression that THC is worse in that regard than many other drugs, but I can't cite anything directly at the moment.

It is fat soluble so the meabolites are slow to be released. The effect, however, is short-lived despite the fact that the metabolites are slow to be purged. It is possible to detect THC metabolites for weeks and maybe months after use. But then again, it is possible to detect opiates in someone's system for days after eating poppy seeds and not getting any noticeable effect at all. The worries about someone being "high" for days, weeks or months after ingestion of cannabis products isn't warranted.