Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HotDom6

Bucktails for stripers

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

So I actually never used a bucktail for bass. Call me crazy or whatever you want. I have some bucktails in my surf bag that I'm thinking about using this weekend.  So my question is what do you guys usually throw on the hook of the bucktail? I've read about pork rind. What do you guys feel works best for you?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Rind makes a good presentation but it gets disgusting sitting in that jar after awhile. Some have complained that the quality has gone downhill.

Berkeley Gulp Mullet 4" and up is good as well as other non-scented curley tail grubs.

What you use doesn't matter as much as how it makes the bucktail move in the water.

You want a trailer that keeps it from digging along the bottom, yet doesn't have so much drag that it brings it up too high in the water column.

That's the trick to bucktailing, learning how to match the size and type of the trailer to the weight, and the head style, and the amount of hair on the jig, and the current, to get it to do what you want it to do. (I'm still working on it)

No quick fix for this, you're going to have to get out there with your bucktails and your trailers and play with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post

What you use doesn't matter as much as how it makes the bucktail move in the water.

You want a trailer that keeps it from digging along the bottom, yet doesn't have so much drag that it brings it up too high in the water column.

That's the trick to bucktailing, learning how to match the size and type of the trailer to the weight, and the head style, and the amount of hair on the jig, and the current, to get it to do what you want it to do. (I'm still working on it)

No quick fix for this, you're going to have to get out there with your bucktails and your trailers and play with them.

Thanks Sudsy.  I'll be putting in 15-20 hours this weekend. First trip for me this fall from the surf. Gonna try some bucktailing and some plugs/poppers.  Hopefully I don't get skunked!