How long before The President...

Rate this topic

Kings over Queens

This one is easy...

If a Democratic President does it... it's not an abuse of power... If a Republican President does it... it's an abuse of power :th:

You can apply this simple rule of thumb to nearly any scenario... there are caveats of course.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. – William James

what executive order isn't?

any one that is issued after a law is passed, so that the people who are in charge will know how the law is supposed to be carried out.

"Ok, Eddy you were right" - minivin5
"Oddly enough, Eddy is right fairly often"- TimS

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish

Immigration reform. Listen to the news. Already happened.

there are immigration laws.

and Obama's executive order would be to ignore all those laws.

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish

Executive orders are meant as administrative advice/directives towards carrying out lawful executive-branch functions. Obama is using them to avoid executing his duties; namely: executing the laws.

He has written fewer orders than previous Presidents but they have been far more expansive in the abuse of power. For instance, he is deciding WHAT laws his administration will or will NOT enforce. This is an abuse of power. He has personally abused the Affordable Care Act 38 times by changing what the law says.

Why doesn't the house approve the legislation the senate passed? It was 68-32. Seems like the House stood in the way, what a surprise.

good for them.

i approve of their (non) action.

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle241 View Post

Why doesn't the house approve the legislation the senate passed? It was 68-32. Seems like the House stood in the way, what a surprise.

Did you mean the senate that refused to vote on hundreds of bills passed by the house? That senate? 

Ed Panzella

"BAITS MOTEL" - 2450 Maycraft Pilothouse

Higganum, Ct

he means the immigration bill passed by the "gang of 8" bipartisan bill passed in the senate. I think when it went to the house the more conservative Republicans didn't like the path to citizenship for all the illegals and didn't think border security went far enough. It didn't have the support and then Luis Gutierrez fired up his rubes with protests and the racism remarks started flying and House republicans said FU. I didn't blame them.

Obama said he wanted the whole bill and house republicans wanted border security and removals of illegals. Screw the path to citizenship.

I have little hope of there ever being a decent immigration bill that respects the sovereignty of this country and protects the borders and American workers by either party. They are so far misaligned with what our values are on both side of the aisle

good for them.

i approve of their (non) action.

So you're an obstructionist?

Did you mean the senate that refused to vote on hundreds of bills passed by the house? That senate? 

That is irrelevant. This legislation was sort of 'bipartisan' and will be what is needed going forward. I don't fully agree with just giving people here illegally citizenship because there is process in place to do it legally even though that process is a mess as well. I'm not sure what can be done with the 10-11 million illegals that are supposedly in the country. Doesn't mean granting them a green card is the solution because I know how hard it was for me to become a citizen. There should be no free rides, that I agree with so this bill while not perfect, was something that perhaps could have been modified to hopefully get a bill in place.

So you're an obstructionist?

Yes.

I am.

Unless it's for something that gives the people more freedom and takes powers away from the bureaucracies, i'm all for obstruction in Congress.

On a side note, it's funny to see the Dems **** being flung back at them.

The mouth breathers bitch and moaned and lied about Republicans not wanting to work with them.

And now, the Dems don't want to work with Republicans.

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

Oh Obama's EO totals are low. So that equals good?

That's the same math that gets him up on the podium touting all these jobs. 10 million jobs!!!! YaY!

Of course they are low paying part time gigs, but hey look at that number!!!

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

If "the House stood in the way" was the House of Representatives merely exercising its power of checks and balances?

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?